7 - Something came up

Sage couldn't get to work fast enough on Monday morning. Unfortunately, she had to wait until ten before Geoffrey arrived. When she saw him with his Starbucks' cup, he never looked her way.

It's okay, she told herself. They needed discretion. Her mind wasn't discreet when she stared at the back of his pants feeling satisfaction she had seen and touched what was inside. She felt warm remembering how he felt on top of her.

Sage threw herself into her work and went for her walk at lunch. Again, she focused in the afternoon until one by one people started to leave. She heard his laugh, so she stepped out of her room to refill her water. She saw him talking to one of the conservators. They were looking at an artifact together.

Sage felt jealous, although it was probably just work. The other woman was closer to his age, but she was no competition physically. She looked rather ordinary and carried a few extra pounds.

For a brief second when she walked past with her full water bottle, she thought he looked up. Back at her desk, she could hardly concentrate. She was trying to read her notes, but nothing made sense.

"Stumped?" his deep voice asked.

"Yes. No. Yes." She whispered. "You disappeared."

He nodded. "I'm not the spooning type. I prefer my own bed. My routine."

"Your workout?" He nodded. "So, it wasn't me."

"Lord, no!" He looked sexy again. "Maybe you want to call it a night and get take out for two and I'll finish up my work and meet you."

He didn't have to ask twice. After almost two days of despair and doubt, she accepted his explanation. "What do you want? Chinese, Thai, pizza?"

"Surprise me." His smile almost buckled her knees, as she stood ready to run out the door.

When he turned and walked away, she smiled. All the tension she had built up since she woke alone melted away. He was coming over.

She stopped and picked up lo mein and some egg rolls. Everyone loved lo mein, unless they weren't doing carbs. He would have told her, if he didn't eat certain foods, yet he didn't tell her he liked to sleep alone.

When she entered her building carrying a brown sac by its handles, Jimmy was in the lobby talking with Mrs. Farias. She was a widow who lived a floor below Sage. Her neighbor always had a smile and pleasant greeting.

"Welcome back, Jimmy. Did you have a nice weekend?" Sage smiled and swung her bag a little.

Mrs. Farias said, "Cameron scored a goal!"

"Wow, you must be proud!"

"I am. I certainly am." Jimmy's grin matched hers.

Mrs. Farias asked, "Dear, are you single?"

She shook her head and the older woman looked disappointed. Sage held up her bag. "I'm expecting company."

She turned to Jimmy and was about to ask him to let her guest up when he arrived. Instead, she eyed Geoffrey at the door.

"He's here now."

She smiled at Geoffrey's beautiful face and had all but forgotten the other two individuals in the lobby. In the elevator, they stood apart. She wasn't about to entertain Jimmy on the security camera.

"I'm glad you wanted to come over."

She sounded so lame. Thankfully, he smiled, and she felt his gaze scan her body. How was it his eyes were such a turn on? Once behind her door, his lips were on hers. The food would have to wait.

It was ten o'clock before they ate and he left shortly after. First, they discussed some things. Actually, he told her he couldn't see her every night. She felt disappointed. He also clarified that no one at the museum needed to know. "And nothing on social media."

"So it really isn't okay since I work in your department?"

"Probably not. Remember, you agreed to be mature and when this ends, it ends."

She nodded, because she had agreed, but had lied.

If such a thing were possible, she became used to her awkward relationship. She wanted more, but was afraid if she pushed she'd have nothing.

One evening, Geoffrey was lying on his back, naked catching his breath, because he didn't spoon or cuddle afterwards. Sage said, "My friend is having a dinner party on Saturday night."

"Enjoy yourself."

"You won't come?"

Chuckling, he said, "Dinner with a bunch of twenty-year-olds? No thank you."

"Why do you like me?"

"Because you're smart and sexy as hell. Really why do you like me?"

She smiled and straddled him. "Same reasons."

He chuckled deep in his throat. "Thought so."

Sage felt a little disappointed to go to Marissa's dinner alone. She was hosting at Jed's apartment, and unlike Sage, she could cook.

Etiquette told her, she should have told her hostess she was arriving alone, but she never could find the words. Sage decided to casually say something came up and apologize.

On her way out, the elevator stopped on the twelfth and Mrs. Farias was waiting to go down.

The older woman smiled. "Going out with your man friend?"

"No, not tonight. I'm going to a friend's for dinner."

"How lovely? You know your friend seems old. It's a good thing I'm not a cougar." She winked. "If I were in your shoes, I'd wonder what he really wants with you and if it will be enough for you."

"You sound like my friend." Marissa had been sceptical of her relationship.

"Sorry, I was never blessed with children, so I mother where I shouldn't."

Sage felt sorry for the sweet woman. She lost her husband and was childless.

Mrs. Farias added, "My nieces and nephews put up with my meddling."

Sage smiled. "I don't mind. It's nice to have a neighbor who cares. Have a good night."

She waved as she stepped out of the elevator and hurried to the street where her Uber was waiting.

Jed's building was an old home divided into apartments. His place was surprisingly nice on the first floor. She had expected college decor with a lumpy, smelly sofa and a foosball table. Instead, there was real furniture and a table set for eight.

Marissa came running out of the kitchen, but stopped short. "Where is he?"

"Something came up at the last minute. I'm sorry, but I brought this." She smiled, as she presented her with a bottle of wine. It was expensive with a cork, so she used her father's credit card.

Taking in the group, she noticed even the sloppy puppy had a date.

Thanks for voting ⭐️