27 - Indy

Sage had arrived home on the red eye Thursday morning. Aidan was waiting in the lobby when she entered. Seeing her caused his heart to race. He had missed her and didn't care if he had a stupid smile on his face.

"How was it, Indy?"

"It was fine. I'm exhausted."

"Go rest, Princess. I'll stop by when I get home from work."

He walked her to the elevator and kissed her forehead as the doors opened.

She wasn't even his, but he was excited as a kid on the first day of summer. His sister was arriving Saturday morning, so he had a weekend of being her boyfriend.

He bumped into Mark, who was probably policing to make sure no one was using the printers for personal business.

"You look happy." Mark stared at him. "You got laid. Who is she?"

"No. I'm just a naturally happy guy. You're the one who's getting it."

"You're jealous."

"Not for Belle." He muttered under his breath as he walked away. Sage was a princess, but Mark's girl was a queen. She was too intense for Aidan.

He could go days without seeing his friends at the firm, but he saw both as Jed appeared at his desk right before the end of the day.

"Hey stranger. You moved out and we never see you."

"You pushed me out. How're things with Marissa?"

"Awesome. Let's go out this weekend."

"I don't know my sister is coming to town."

"Just drinks. Friday?" Jed never liked no.

"I'll let you know. I gotta go."

"Hot date?" Jed teased.

"I wish." He wanted to see Sage and hear about her trip, but it wasn't a date.

He waited at her door for a long time before she answered. He felt disappointment fester, as he thought she was out. When she answered her hair was sticking out in odd directions, her face was puffy and she wore her pajamas. She still took his breath away.

"Were you still asleep?"

"I was in bed. I'm tired."

"Have you eaten today?" She shook her head. "Noodle take out. My treat."

She didn't respond but walked to her sofa and curled up. He had never seen her lethargic before. Sage was always full of life.

"Are you feeling all right?"

"Just tired."

When the food arrived, she sat up. Handing her a bottle of water, he encouraged her to drink. She ate slowly although she had to be hungry.

Once they had finished eating, he asked, "Feel better?"

She nodded. He put down his own paper carton and held out his arm beckoning her to move closer. She leaned against him and sighed.

"Are you smelling me?"

"Yeah. So what?"

He wanted to tease her, but it was not the time. Having two sisters taught him to tread easy around a tired female.

"So how was your trip?"

"It was fine."

"Just fine. I thought you'd be bubbling with stories."

"Not really. There was a guy, Ben, who was a jerk at first, but he ended up being nice."

"What did you see? Will it help your research?" He was grasping at straws.

"I saw a lot and took a slew of pictures. I have plenty of information to make sense of. So how are you?"

She buried her face in his shirt again. He felt something wet. Was she crying? Ignoring it, he replied, "I'm good. Jed wants me to go out, you too probably, but I told him about Mia's visit."

She pulled away from him and sat up. "Oh right, your sister."

Her eyes were wet, and he didn't know what to say. He pulled her into him and held her.

She pulled away. "I'm just really tired. I'll feel better tomorrow. I'll even go for drinks, if you are."

She kissed him on the cheek and he had no choice, so he stood and left.

Rachel was watching Jeopardy. "Did she kick you out because the other one was there?"

"No, she's tired. She was quiet about her trip and gave the same answer, it was fine. She wasn't herself."

With a shrug, she replied, "Traveling can do that."

Aidan's gut told him her trip was a disappointment but had trouble imagining why.

They were meeting for drinks after work. He texted Sage, and she promised she'd be there. He stood, so he was facing the entrance waiting for her to arrive. Several girls eyed him as if he had an 'I'm single' sign pinned to him. He thought she wouldn't show up when a flash of red caught his eye.

He tried to hide his smile from his friends, but his eyes followed her as she walked toward him in a sexy red mini dress. He had seen her dressed sophisticated and casual, but alluring like the night they met always did him in. He hoped his suit coat hid what was happening in his pants.

"Hi." She addressed the group.

"You look rested." Aidan said leaning close to her ear.

"I feel better." She smiled and his princess was back. Not that she was his.

Marissa arrived yelling excitedly. "Sage! Oh my God! I've missed you."

The girls talked head to head and Marissa looked at him a few times. Aidan wished Sage was saying she wanted to be with him and not the old guy.

His biggest surprise was when the two girls downed a row of shots at the bar. It looked like something they had done before.

Jed groaned. "I'll be carrying her home."

Aidan hoped to be so lucky. He stood behind Sage. "Remember Princess, we have a weekend date. Do you want to meet my sister hungover?"

"Yes or still drunk."

When Mark left to meet Belle, Sage called out loudly. "See you, Puppy."

Aidan laughed. Putting his arm around her, he said, "Come on. Wave goodbye, Princess. The party's over."

She didn't fight him, as he led her onto the sidewalk and into an Uber. It reminded him of their last cab ride and wished his hand was on her thigh. Before they traveled three blocks, she was asleep with her head against his arm.

He wanted to know what happened on her trip. She just hadn't been herself since she arrived home. Jimmy helped him, as he attempted to escort her in. He finally gave up and lifted her. Cradling her body, she wasn't heavy.

"You got it, Mr. Reilly?" Jimmy asked in a whisper.

"Yes, thanks Jimmy."

"Take care of her, sir."

Aidan found her key in her purse and let them into her apartment. He carried her to the bedroom and placed her on her bed. After taking off her shoes and covering her, he wondered if it was safe to leave her alone. Jimmy had asked him to take care of her, so he stripped down to his underwear and slid in the bed next to her.

He set his phone to wake him, because his sister was arriving, bright and early. His last thoughts before he drifted off was, the sheets better not be dirty from the last time she was with the jerk. The thought of her in bed with him soured his stomach. When would she realize the guy wasn't right for her?

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️