22 - Wake up call

Aidan should have known Geoff would return to Sage's apartment. He'd need to claim her after her parents had claimed Aidan. William had called him son. Aidan may have a father, but William didn't have a son.

Aidan wasn't about to pay for the cab fare when another guy spent the ride with his hand up Sage's skirt. Instead, he seethed when the loser let her pay for the cab.

He followed them in the building and into the elevator. Geoff said, "Your job is done."

He ignored him and pushed number twelve. When the elevator started moving, he looked at Sage's reflection. For a princess she didn't look very happy. His gut told him, it wouldn't be long. Sage was waking up and realizing great sex wasn't everything. She was too nice to put up with the jerk. Maybe the plan he put in place the day she invited him for coffee was finally working.

He smiled at her. "I'll be ready in the morning."

As the doors opened on the twelfth floor, she called out. "Thanks, Aid and no suit." He nodded and walked away.

Sage looked refreshed and beautiful in a turquoise-colored sweater, black leggings, and boots that went almost to her knees. Aidan felt drab in his dress pants and button down, so he rolled the sleeves.

He froze when Sage reached her hand towards his face. Her finger rubbed at the corner of his mouth. "Toothpaste."

He didn't need a mirror to know he was blushing. Red face and hard was not the look he was going for.

"I need to pay you for the cab."

He shook his head. "You were my date until the other guy stole you."

"Are you jealous?" She had a smirk on her face.

"Damn straight. I slept alone last night."

"I did too and you know it. You had a visit with Rachel."

"Um, Sage, I started to tell you. Jed and Marissa kicked me out. I moved in with Rachel. Temporarily until I figure out my next move."

Her mouth formed an 'O'. "No wonder Jimmy wouldn't throw you out."

"Ouch." He pouted for effect.

"I didn't mean to hurt you." She sighed. "I knew Geoff was on his way. He hates you."

"It's mutual."

They were walking to the hotel on the bright spring morning, but she wasn't happy. Aidan wanted to make her happy.

"So when are you going to play Indiana Jones?"

"I have some vacation time at the end of the month. I planned to go lie in the sun in Saint Thomas, but I'll go to Oregon, instead."

"Saint Thomas?"

"Yeah, my mother's friend Celia has a house. The only downside is her son Monty always shows up, but he's a spoiled man-child who drinks too much. Nice guy just too busy playing to have a productive life."

"So you'll skip the sun and bikini?"

"Looks like it, although Geoff's reluctant for me to go."

"He probably will miss you."

I will.

She shrugged. "I don't know what his issue is, but I'm just tired of it."

"Princess, if he's not making you happy."

The solution was obvious to Aidan, but Sage changed the subject.

"So how's Rachel, as a roommate?"

"The food's great."