16 - Rom Com

A hired car was waiting outside the terminal when they exited. The driver held up a sign with both their names. Aidan whispered, "I'm surprised it didn't say Sage Petersen and friend."

She scoffed at him. "My mother would never. That would be rude."

He felt like he was in a movie. It would be a rom com, but if it were, he'd get the girl. A guy could keep wishing for a miracle. He didn't pay attention to the drive out of the airport and through the Ted Williams's tunnel onto the Mass Pike. It was exactly how he would drive home, except he would continue on until Natick and they exited in Wellesley.

After a subdued plane ride, Sage talked excitedly. She had received a text from her friend. "Teddy will be home, too. He wants to see me. You can meet him. I'll text him to see if he wants us to walk over."

Aidan knew her friend was her neighbor growing up, but as they drove through an area with long driveways and hidden houses, he didn't think they would just 'walk over' like they did in his neighborhood.

He stared out the window as they reached a cul-de-sac with three driveways. The one in the middle was gated, but the other two were not. They turned into the one on the left. The hedge on the road blocked the view of the house, the driveway led to the side of the house which was as large as he had expected.

He closed his gaping mouth. "How many families live here?"

She smiled. "You know the answer."

While the house was obviously big, it was not as opposing as Mark's house in Westchester county.

The car came to a stop and Sage jumped out. The driver followed as he went to the truck to retrieve their two small bags. Aidan took both bags and thanked him as Sage bounced and skipped to the door.

The ornate door opened to her and a woman stepped out. As he walked across the pavers to the door, the greeter hugged Sage. When their hug ended, he stood directly behind Sage.

"Oh Aidan, welcome to our home!" She reached out her hand.

He took her hand and gently shook it. "Hello Mrs. Petersen."

"Please call me Bea." She smiled as she looked at his face a moment longer than was comfortable. She turned to Sage. "He's more handsome than his picture."

Sage looked back and winked at him. Apparently, he passed the appearance test. Stepping into the house to the large two storey open front entryway. The staircase opposite curved as it went up to the landing above.

Mrs. Petersen said, "Just leave the bags, Julio will bring them up."

"I don't mind." Aidan attempted to protest.

"Lunch is waiting."

They led him into the dining room. A young woman with dark hair and eyes was putting a platter on the set table.

"Rosa!" Sage face brightened.

"Welcome home, Miss. Sage. We've missed you."

She spoke with a slight Spanish accent and smiled kindly at Aidan when Sage introduced him.

Aidan waited for Sage and he held her chair out for her as he had learned to do from his father. He had practice from his meals at Rachel's. She expected him to act like a gentleman. Before he sat, he walked over to Bea and held out her chair.

From behind, he heard a deep voice. "I'll take care of that young man."

He turned to face a man shorter than him with hair that looked prematurely white, as Sage exclaimed, "Daddy!"