"It's an invitation,"

Klaus cocks his head to the side, looking like an awfully confused puppy. "An invitation to what?"

"A... ball,"

"A ball," Klaus repeats. "A ball. Who the bloody hell would be throwing a ball in New Orleans?"

"The Strix...?" Rory's answer comes off more as a question. Klaus' face immediately hardens. The way his hands tighten over her sides make Rory realise that perhaps Klaus does know more than he lets on. "What's that look?"

"What look?" Klaus feigns indifference as he pushes himself into a sitting position. He slips on a pair of grey sweatpants, turning to walk towards the bathroom.

"Uh, you are not walking away from me right now, because that is very much a look," Rory tosses the blankets off herself, grabbing his shirt from the ground. She clumsily slips it on as she grabs the invitation from under the pillow, following Klaus into the bathroom. She crosses her arms over her chest. "Who are the Strix? Why do you look like someone just shot a puppy?"

"They're very dangerous people, Rory," Klaus responds. "It's best you steer clear of them."

"Really? Because I think the leader just slipped me a personal invite," Rory holds up the invitation between her middle and index fingers. Klaus turns to face her, his eyes falling on the card.

Klaus' lips downturn into a scowl. "What does he want with you?"

"He wants me to join them. Honestly, it sounds very intense, but I kind of dig it," Rory shrugs, tracing her finger over the opening of the invitation slip. "He promised me power beyond my imagination. A global network."

"I can offer you that without batting an eyelash," Klaus leans against the sink, arms crossed over his chest.

"I know you can, tough guy. The thing is... I'm a little intrigued," Rory walks towards Klaus, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Tristan's fascinated because, apparently, I'm a true Ripper. And he hasn't come across one since... well, I don't know, but he mentioned Stefan."

"And why didn't he call Stefan instead of bothering my girlfriend?" Klaus murmurs as he tugs her closer.

"Because Stefan is messy," Rory tuts. "And I'm guessing the Strix don't like mess," Rory raises an eyebrow. Klaus reaches behind his neck to take the invitation from Rory's hand, but she's faster. She pulls her arm away from him, taking a step back. "Tell me what the Strix are."

"Does the fact that they're dangerous not deter you whatsoever?"

"No. I'm dating you,"

Klaus sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Rory, you don't want to get mixed up with those people,"

"Who are those people?" Rory interjects. "And I can make my own damn decisions, you can't tell me who I want or don't want to get mixed up with. Maybe if you actually told me why I shouldn't, I can choose if I want to show up or not."

Klaus traces his tongue over his bottom lip, before slumping against the sink. "The Strix is the most dangerous and influential congregations of vampires the world has ever known," Klaus states. "They were founded by Elijah centuries ago. They all descend from his sireline. Which begs the question of why they would come... to you."

"Who's sireline am I from?" Rory frowns.

"Mine," Klaus smirks. Rory raises an eyebrow. "Stefan is from my sireline, which means Damon is as well. Damon's blood turned you. Therefore, I am your sire."