Chapter 4: So It Begins

We start down the hill towards Balmer's perimeter fence, my stomach doing tumbles as we get closer. Again we fit through the fence without an issue, and I take, in full realization, of what is around me; withering buildings and streets littered with garbage.

As we start to make our way quietly behind the warehouses, I sneak peeks inside of the dust covered windows where someone has wiped away some of the smudge, and with horror filled eyes, behold people and families sleeping on the concrete floors gathered with a few tattered blankets. In others, people huddle around a fire that is seemingly burning in a trashcan, speaking no words, but even from the distance of the window I can see their frail frames shivering from the wind.

"Is it like this everywhere?" I ask almost silently.

After a few beats Matthew replies in a grave tone, "This is the worse but honestly, it's not much better anywhere else." His voice is almost silent as the wind begins to pick up, a shiver racking through my body.

As we start to approach buildings that better resemble houses, Matthew stands up straight and motions me to do the same. We hop over a small brick wall, into the backyard of what I assume is his house. I thought that, although his house was very small, it was quaint and held an essence of home that my obnoxiously big home never did.

"Wait out here, I won't be long," He says before opening the back door and stepping inside. I smile in the darkness and the déjà vu that plagues me; with me on the other side of the situation.

I look out to the other houses and realize what is truly missing in the town, besides the obvious wealth. Color. This town was built with dull colored bricks and washed out shades of grey, but in Golden Grove the city flourishes with flowers and buildings covered in warm, relaxing hues. I scoff and shake my head at the arrogance of the King, he separates the rich and the poor in every aspect, even the architecture.

After a few more minutes, Matthew emerges from the back door, "Eliza, you can come in... only my sister is home."

I give him a quizzical look as I stand up and he smirks saying, "It took some convincing but she won't tell my mom you were here." He gestures for me to go in first and I do so greedily inviting the warmth that floats from inside.

The majority of his house is made of cobblestone and flimsy steel; in one corner there's a small stove and counter and to its right it opens up to the living room which contains a small brown couch and a rocking chair. In front of it emanates the source of warmth; a small fireplace producing the only sound in the room, a quiet cackling as the fire licks at the wood.

I see a girl, whom I assume is his sister, emerge from a creaky door and stands quietly in the living room before taking a cautious seat on the couch.

"Mabelle this is Eliza, Eliza my sister Mabelle," Matthew speaks loudly attempting to break the awkward silence.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," I say and walk over to shake her hand. She looks so frail and tiny, no older than 14 years old as she stares at me with the same green eyes her brother has. Her small mouth pulls up at the corners as she takes my hand timidly and shakes it, "Hello" she quickly says.

"Next door are one of the guys who are interested in the rebellion if you want to wait here, I can get him to spread word to the others so you can meet them. Its better we establish some trust now, while you're on our turf," he says while retying his boots and walking towards the door.

"Uh...yeah, I'll just wait here then," I fumble out before he strides out the door. I sit in the rocking chair dazed by his behavior, either he's just as nervous as I am or questioning my involvement, either way it's putting me on edge.