Chapter 3: Leaving What's Known

The early morning light shines across my room, invading my sleep. I squint my eyes open and roll over recollecting my thoughts from last night; the dinner party, the parade, the home invasion...and the cold hard truth. Right under the noses of the upper society, murder was taking place and with the slap of a label, being called justice. Dread threatens to take over my body as I realize the fact that my father must know about these executions.

We're a founding family of the Renewed Society, which places us in the inner circle with the King, calling themselves the Truly Divine. As I contemplate how I'll bring up the subject with my father, movement on my bed alarms me.

"I'm sorry if I woke you, but you should know that we need to leave by tonight." I take in this image of Matthew sitting on the edge of my bed, as the morning sun bathes the room in its warmth. He looks none other than a prince, his green eyes and brown hair shimmering with flecks of gold.

"And I happen to be starving," he adds with a grim smile.

I leap out of bed fully accessing my situation. Matthew, a fugitive, is sitting merrily on my bed while my mother could walk in at any moment.

"Are you alright? You haven't said a word." As if on cue my mother knocks on the door and I push him to hide on the other side of my bed as I make my way to the door.

"Good morning mother!" I say too enthusiastically.

"Eliza for goodness sake it's already 11 and you haven't even showered?!" My mother never ceases to amaze me with her constant obsession over outward appearances.

"I'm sorry mother, I was very tired."

"Beauty is pain sweetheart, what if we had company? You don't even look presentable." Before she gives me a chance to reply she continues speaking.

"Anyways, I came in here to tell you that your father and I will be gone today because of the Saint Bethany's Gala in Silver City. Just ask the House Program to make dinner or something, we should be back by early morning tomorrow."

"Alright mother, have a safe trip. I love you," I lean in to kiss her cheek but she raises her hand in protest.

"Please Eliza, you smell like a Balmer citizen, take a shower," she huffs and closes the door. Of course she had to say that. I slowly turn around, hoping he hadn't heard her when he stands up again.

"You'd better get your bedding washed since I sat on it," he spits out cruelly.

"I'm sorry, that was my mother talking, not me," I say apologetically, but I can see that he's taking none of it.

"Yeah but you were raised by her, what makes you think you're any different?" He starts pacing the floor, clearly pissed by my mother's prejudice words.

"Please! I wasn't raised by her, some housemaid had to do the job!" I realize that that didn't help my case in sounding less spoiled, which only makes me aggravated now.

"I didn't turn your sorry ass in did I?! You think I'm like my mother, why don't you catch her before she leaves and introduce yourself then?! See how long your head sits on your shoulders..." I unfurl my fists, breathing loudly at my outburst. He stops pacing and looks at me incredulously for a moment before bursting into laughter.

I am completely taken aback for two reasons; one, he is laughing at what was supposed to be my angry side and two, this is the first time that I've seen him genuinely smile in the last 15 hours that I have known him.

"Why are you laughing at me?" I ask defensively.

"Your attempt at an outburst is absolutely hilarious! It's like watching a palace dog try and scare a lion!" He doubles over and continues laughing, all the while building my annoyance with him.