Chapter 5: Start of Hope

"That-That was exuberating!" I cry out as we make our way through the dark, damp forest.

Matthew chuckles behind me and as I turn around to see his wide-eyed grin.

"I've got to admit, I was a little worried but you sure know how to turn a crowd around" he reassures me.

"I was president of my debate team in school," I smirk thinking of a time a singled handedly won a debate against an entire team. We approach the fence and fit through the hole with ease due to our earlier invasion.

"What did you want to be when you grew up then? Or even now?" Matthew asks in a more curious tone, grabbing my hand to help me stand away from the fence. I thoughtfully stay quiet for a moment before answering his question.

"Strangely enough, I wanted to be a vigilante," I smile and think back to the time when I was about 11 and discovered some ancient literature containing pictures and stories about ordinary people fighting against crime; the people in the city had called them superheroes.

"I'll never forget the aching yearn I had to go back and experience a world where anybody could be a hero, a savior, for those who couldn't defend themselves," I continue to walk, not realizing that I had stopped in the first place.

"Wow, with every word you say you continue to amaze me Eliza."

"Don't get used to it, my words will surely not amaze you for long. I'm no one, just a girl who lives in a fancy house with a wealthy family," I look around at the outlined buildings as we make our way down my street. I can barely make out the bird fountain in front of my housing complex when Matthew grabs the hook of my arm and spins me around.

Fury burns behind his now forest green eyes when he says, "You are not just some girl, not to me and not anybody I bet. It's now been 24 hours since I've crashed into your room and you've made a bigger impact on my life than anybody else I know. You are a daring fearless girl who seeks salvation for people you have never even met! How could you possibly think that you're just a girl?" His fury turns to sadness as he slowly lets go of his grip and continues to walk, leaving me speechless and standing alone in the darkness.

We reach the fifth floor without any fear of being seen, the entire complex is indeed absent and away at that stupid Gala in Silver City. I close my front door and the lights automatically turn on, illuminating the foyer and winding staircase.

"Well, I guess you're all the way up here and safe. I should take off," Matthew says as he shoves his hands in the pockets of his jeans. I'm embarrassed by the grief that floods through me at the sound of his words, but I push it away and sigh, "Alright, yeah...thanks for everything today," I walk over and throw my arms around him for a hug.

He teeters back, almost losing his balance from the unexpected gesture, but returns it by wrapping his arms securely around my waist.

"When will you come see me again?" I murmur into the crook of his neck. He suddenly steps back abruptly pulling my arms from him, "Uh, I dunno. I'll just stop by in a few days or something. See ya later Eliza." He holds open the door and looks back, "See ya Matt," I whisper as he disappears into the hallway, once again leaving me speechless and alone.

***

I sit in front of my vanity, an image of statuesque as I apply makeup. It's been six days since I last saw Matthew, and I've not come any closer to finding someone to confide my plans in. However, another opportunity awaits me at the luncheon this afternoon at the city hall. I sweep back half of my pale blonde hair and clip it back with a jeweled hairpiece before standing to smooth out my emerald green dress.