Chapter 11: The Royal Palace

Author's Note: To give those of you a bit of a time frame, The Truly Divine has so far taken place over about a month and almost a half. Also, if you have not yet picked up the season is Summer, however it's more the end of Summer. This may seem a bit short, but it is the set up to Chapter 12. That's all, please enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drive the roundabout of their front yard, a massive statue of the King's first father in the middle. He stands intimidatingly, the first King of the Renewed Society, stoned and chiseled to perfection. Guards stand attentively on the pathway leading to castle which are lined with impressively trimmed shrubs greening elegance.

I stare in awe as the driver parks the limo and gets out to open our door, "Amazing isn't it?" Brady says nudging my lightly. I nod unable to find my voice as I step out of the vehicle and take in the extraordinary sight. The jagged stone is built majestically into the huge buildings that stand before me, covering what must be miles of land.

"This way you two, gawking is unattractive." His mother leads the way now the long shrub path, the soldiers giving no indication that they acknowledge our existence. I squirm under their blank stares, used to being the highest of high in Golden Grove but here I might as well be a commoner.

Dark wooden doors stand towering above us as they are pulled open for our entrance. Gloriousness expands in front of me, the peaked glass ceiling of an indoor porch. Seamless sandalwood flooring compliments the mass amount of greenery sitting beside love seats and hammocks. Flowers of outrageous beauty hang the room like ribbon; we continue walking through the porch approaching another set of normal sized dark wooden doors. The common meeting hall is presented to us, where all general business is handled. The room is long and narrow, royal crests, portraits and flags cover the walls with a long gold and red woven rug leading to the four thrones.

I nearly stop in my tracks when I realize that three of the chairs are filled; the Queen, King, and Princess sit like statues, small smiles placed on their faces.

"Welcome Richmonds and guest!" The booming of the King's voice causes me to jump, it sounds so inviting, so strong yet gentle that I almost forget that he is a vicious murderer.

As we get closer to the thrones I take in the appearance of the royal family. The all wear ridiculously elegant outfits, no doubt woven with real gold and embellished with jewels and diamonds. The colors shine with royal colors of red, gold, blue, purple, and orange. The King himself looks as though he should be in a jolly musical, his beard is a thick dark brown, cheeks rosy and green eyes bursting with happiness. The Queen sits politely still, although her ramrod straight posture makes my own back ache. She is a portrait of aged perfection, eyes light brown and hair swept up elegantly on top of the crown. I look to the Princess and, arrogantly, for the first time in my life feel self-conscious.

If I thought her mother was perfection, God himself must have spent years crafting what is the Princess. Her skin is milk smooth and pale, her posture not at all ramrod but effortless. I blink to ensure myself that she is in fact real and not just a cloud of flawless nature. Her hairs is as her mothers but the darkness of her fathers, tendrils laying perfectly curled beside her face. She reminds me of the old picture book fairy tale character, Belle.

Her eyes fixate on me and she smiles, "Hello Ms. Harold."

"Why yes! I knew you looked familiar. Your father is one of my best men, but you... I have not had the pleasure of seeing since you were a  little child!" The King shouts despite the close proximity.

"Yes, it has been a long time, but I am most honored to be in your presence your highness; the entire family," I courtesy and look sheepishly to Brady who is smiling at me. 

"Why thank you Ms. Harold , though I do apologize that my son has not yet arrived," the Queen says nicely. We continue with small talk, leaving me itchy and wanting to explore the grounds.

"So Ms. Harold, it was unfortunate to hear from my men in The Truly Divine that when the intruder infiltrated our city, you were unconscious?" His voice lifted at the end, implying a question.

"That is correct your highness, I do not remember anything."

"After running from your father?"

I look cautiously to Brady, whose expressionless.

"I was in a state of panic and my friend-"

"Annaliese Fallbrook?" 

"Yes, and-"

"How did you two meet?" I furrow my brow and the seemingly random question.

"During the luncheon at the City Hall over a month ago." I recognize the downplayed suspicion emanating through the room when I am saved by a certain someone; someone only God himself could have known would be more loud than the King himself. 

"Father! I had no idea we had family over!" The Prince strides into the room, dissolving the atmosphere into a light airy one. He stands tall and broad, a striking resemblance to his father. I am caught off guard when I recognize that his eyes are two different colors, the left being brown like his mother's and the right distorted with a mixture or brown, blue and green. After hugging Mrs. Richmond and Brady he realizes my presence.

"And who might this be Brady?" He smirks, elbowing him playfully.

Brady blushes, but I speak before he can, "I'm Eliza Harold, Henry Harold's daughter" I smile taking in his appearance. He is dressed as the rest of his family is; royal attire. His dark brown hair slicked back elegantly.

"Well it is very nice to meet you Eliza Harold," He smiles brilliantly and kisses the top of my hand. I smile in return, surprised at how pulled I am by his presence.

"If you will excuse me, I have business matters to attend to but please, make yourself at home. We have servants at the tip of your command if you wish to request for something. If you have any questions ask Brady or my family, Good day Ms. Harold." The King stands up, as well as his wife and daughter as he steps down from the throne and leaves.

It is peculiar to me, that a man of such stature still walks with the elegance of a lady-in-waiting. The Queen and Princess sit one again, seeming as statues as they speak with Mrs. Richmond.

"Would you like to take a tour of the Palace Eliza?" The Prince asks.

"Yes, thank you," I smile politely.

He turns to his sister, "Athena, would you like to come along with us?"

She nods slightly and excuses herself from the conversation, "Shall we begin?" she smiles, breaking my heart into a thousand envious little pieces.