Chapter 13: No One Knows

They pull up politely in front of my house to drop me off. Bidding the Richmond's a goodbye, I wait until their sleek black vehicle disappears into the night before walking down the street towards the back of the city. I pull nervously at my gown, cursing myself for not changing first. I can't see anyone in the fields when I start to make my way through them, wondering if Matthew gave up waiting for me.

"Boo" he whispers in the darkness.

I squeal and spin around trying to see his face when he grabs my wrists and laughs.

"Jeez, you were this close to knocking my lights out again!" He continues laughing and I feel myself laughing with him, instantly feeling at ease.

It isn't until I remember what I overheard at the palace when the grave feeling creeps back into my face. He releases his grip and suddenly turns serious.

"What happened?"

I sit in the grass awkwardly with my dress, he takes in my appearance and raises his eyebrows.

"You were at the palace today right? Did something happened there?" He sits with me, wrapping his arms around his crossed legs.

"I don't know where to start Matt..." I mumble, the light atmosphere sucked away, leaving nothing but the whistling sound between the blades of grass. Before I can find the courage to speak, I look up at the sky where the moon tries to shine down, swallowed by the night. When did everything become so dangerously real?

"Did they find me? Do they know where I'm hiding?" My silence makes him nervous as he keeps talking, "Is it too dangerous for us to be here right now? For you? Should I go? Eliza?!" He looks frantic so I grant him the reassurance that it's not his life that is in jeopardy.

"They know about me," I hang my head sadly at the words.

"What?" He asks barely over a whisper. I look up to make sure he said anything at all, and sure enough his face is stricken with grief. His eyes are hardly a visible green in the night, eyebrows pulled together in fear. Unable to respond I just stare at him, hoping he reacts well.

"Eliza.." He continues to stay frozen as I begin to grow worried.

"Matt please say something-"

"Eliza, no. Please tell me it's not true," he finally looks into my eyes causing them to prick with sadness at his expression.

"I overheard the King's meeting with the Truly Divine and they know it is someone within the families...Apparently there are already leads."

"How could they have suspected?" I can tell his mind is racing to a million places at once just as mine.

"I'm not sure, but we can't hold back now. We are finally starting to get somewhere" I place my hand on his in comfort when then electric feeling reminds me that he said he loved me. Does he mean he's in love with me, or that he just cares?

He looks up at me and I stare into his eyes, a dozen thoughts that won't will me to say them aloud. A shiver runs through my body and he blinks before pulling away and standing up. He sighs and runs his fingers through his messy brown hairs, a sad expression distorting his handsome features.

"I don't know, I've got Balmer and Arroya waiting for command. If we get the Prince on our side we can sneak weapons to our forces and attack the next day before anyone realizes they're gone." I watch the gears turning in his head, trying to avoid the defeat that may be closer than victory.

"I'll be on it, the Prince seemed to take a liking to me, perhaps I can use it to my advantage."

He looks at me with an odd expression before fixing his composure.

"Whatever works," he says absently, rocking on his heels.

I stand up, assuming our meeting is over. "Matt, can I see you tomorrow?"

He scratches the back of his head awkwardly before saying, "Well yeah but why?"

"Because at one time we were starting to become friends, and somewhere along the line it became about nothing but the plan..that's not how I wanted it to be" I look down sadly.

"That's because that's all that matters apparently," he says coldly catching me off guard.

"How could you say that? I thought we were closer than that," I stare at him determined.

He looks at me as though I'm crazy, "I said I loved you Eliza! You said nothing, nothing at all!"

"I wanted to tell you-"

"Don't pity me Eliza." He turns to walk away but I grab his arm to stop.

"That's not what it is at all. Will you still see me tomorrow?"

"Fine Eliza, yes. But we're going to Arroya, there's someone I want you to meet." He doesn't meet my eyes before pulling away and quickly walking off into the darkness. I let the now, very cold, wind swirl around me, wondering what I'm going to do to rekindle this broken atmosphere. ***
The sun is absent when I wake, bleak clouds reflecting my mood. I summon the energy to get ready and go downstairs for breakfast, where my parents sit silently as breakfast continues to be made.

"Good morning Eliza, do you have plans today?" My mother asks while inspecting her nails and taking a drink from her glass.

"I might see Anna and go out of town to shop," I reply nonchalantly.
"What need do you have to shop out of Golden Grove? There is plenty offered," my father looks up from his reading device and looks me over, waiting for an answer.
"I just wanted a change of scenery" I reply, thankful for the maids who bring out breakfast, ending the conversation.

     Frightening images torment me during breakfast as I recall the conversation had at the King's palace. What did my father mean when he said he would do anything, even extermination of both treasoners? Was I suspected? Surely. But how do I lead the suspicion away from myself?
A rapid knock puts my thoughts to rest and my father waves irritably at a maid to answer the door. I hear multiple footsteps as two tall men dressed in black suits come stand on either side of the entrance to our dining room.

"Your Highness, Prince Henrik" one states.

I nearly choke on my food as I watch the Prince walk elegantly into the room, wearing none other than royal garments.

"Good morning, Harolds, enjoying your breakfast?" He smiles brilliantly as if it isn't odd he is here.

I butt in before either of my parents can speak.

"Wonderful Your Highness, what have we done to earn your presence this morning?" I say, with underlying shock.
He ambles over and takes a seat next to me; I view the shocked expressions on my parents faces.

"I keep my word Eliza Harold, I have come to ask you to accompany me to dinner at the palace tomorrow night. A dinner party to welcome the coming of autumn and of course all Truly Divine families are invited, however I wanted to personally deliver the invitation" his words are silk off his tongue, and I find my self entranced by his odd colored eyes.

"Of course! She would love to go Prince Henrik, as well as my husband and I!" My mother boasts obnoxiously.

"So glad to hear you all will be attending" Henrik doesn't take his eyes off mine while answering my mother. "The social festivities will start at 5 and dinner is to be served at 6. However Eliza, you and your family are more than welcome to come earlier to continue your tour of the grounds," he takes my hand and kisses the top of it gently before standing up and straitening his vest.

I am speechless as he starts to make his way out, "Oh and it is a black tie affair, no colors. Except the royal family of course. Goodbye Eliza, I look forward to seeing you," he winks and saunters out of the room, his energetic vibe left buzzing in the room.

I sigh in amble anticipation of tomorrow night, and weariness in what is in store for me today.