22. Imeeshi

I  did not go inside but skirted the court. It was bustling with activity. A long line of people waited out, restless and livid.

The moment I woke up I decided to get some fresh air. With Fizayer nowhere in sight, I took a quick bath and skipped the attempts of a concerned maid to feed me breakfast even though it was already noon.

I wasn't particularly hungry. More frustrated with what my life had become lately.

A tall man stepped in front of me. I didn't know who he was so I tried to sidestep but he mimicked. I huffed at his rude behavior.

"Do you mind?" I gestured for him to give me the way.

"I apologize miss. But I would like to talk to you. I've never seen you here before. Are you a new maid for the royals?"

I bristled. "Yes, I am. And I'm wondering why are you out of your litter basket."

This time he bristled. "I apologize again. I did not mean to offend you. You are too pretty to be a maid anyways. So, please let me start over."

"No thanks. I would like for you to step away now."

He straightened and squinted his eyes. "You're a mistress. Aren't you?"

My blood boiled. So much for the fresh air.

The guards surrounded the man out of nowhere and moved him back by the scruff. "Is he bothering you?"

The rude man's eyes bulged. My cheeks reddened when I saw people turning to look at me.

"No, but his vain attempts need to be kept in check. I do not want him to be rude to other women. Give him something productive to do," I ordered.

The guards dispersed.

Resuming my walk, I reached a huge brown door. I tried to find a shorter entry gate but couldn't locate any. The guards again emerged on either side and opened it for me.

I flushed. I wasn't used to this beck-and-call treatment. Inclining my head in gratitude, I took a step inside.

The big hall spoke of casual opulence. Giant statues of our war animal, Girgimup in various warlike stances circled me. I shivered at the open intimidation tactic. Halls were supposed to be more welcoming but this one was designed to make you submit.

Bypassing the incredulous statues, I reached a much smaller door painted with our flag colors, purple and black. I turned the gold knob and opened the door.

I stepped inside and came to an abrupt halt. All the talks ceased. Nearly a hundred heads turned in my direction but I focused ahead.

Fizayer looked more at home in the royal chair. I never looked at him as a king, not even the very first time. For me, he was always my mate.

And in this biased perspective, somehow, I forgot that he was a king first and my mate second. I had been so selfish until now. Making him come after me just because I couldn't deal with the change.

Yet, he never complained.

I apologized for interrupting and retraced my steps quickly.

Fizayer stood suddenly, "Good that you're here, Imeeshi. Come, sit beside me."

He gestured at the smaller chair beside him.

I gulped but followed his order. Slowly, with as much confidence I could muster, I walked the straight line and prayed that I didn't trip.

Climbing the five small steps, I took the outstretched hand of the king and looked at his intense gray eyes.

The moment I sat, a collective gasp resounded in the room. The implication of who I was dawned on each one of them. Their evident shock resonated with me.

Without officiating, Fizayer managed to announce my new title. I looked at the countless men before me and felt a very strong urge to protect them.

I promised then to myself that no harm shall come to my people because of me. And even though I was incapable of performing any queenly duties right now, however, I would learn and become better for them.

With this promise firmly engraved on my mind and heart, I turned my head and found a new light of love and ownership in his eyes.

Incorrigible!

_____________________________________________