Meeting the parents

Start from the beginning

Usually I tell them out right, to save all this fuss. But there was just something about her that made me want to punch her in the face. She was trying to humiliate me in front of everyone and make a scene. If a scene is what she wants, then that's exactly what she's going to get.

"You know there was a day when being a veteran meant something. When people showed some kind of respect instead of sticking their nose up, and assuming that they're better than others."
I pulled my dog tags out from under my top and let them rest on it. The stainless steel contrasting with the black of my shirt. She nearly choked on her own spit.

"Oh i'm-"
"So this is how our country repays the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us? This is disgraceful. You should be ashamed of yourself young woman. After all she has been through, you put her through this so you can feel better about yourself? Well darling I think you should take a long look in the mirror. Now apologising won't get you anywher-"
"Miss I think you should calm down, this was just some sort of misunderstanding"
Oh that did it for Anne. It looked like she wanted to hang this guy by his tie.

"Did you just interrupt me? Was I talking to you? No I was not. Didn't your parents ever teach you manners. You young kids today, running around disrespecting others. It will get you no where in life. I'm telling you that now. Did you see what your staff member did to my dear friend? There was no need for it............"

This went on for another 10 minutes. Eventually the security guards had to accompany her out because she was becoming a disturbance. Instead we said that we'd escort her out. In all honesty, it was the least I could do. I thought I was going to make a scene, well she won the oscar. There was no need for it but it was damn funny to watch.

Just as we were about to part ways, and she was about to get into her car she shouted
"are you sure you won't take me up on that offer handsome?" This started the giggles again.
Luke wrapped his arm around my waist, pulled me into his side, looked down at me and said "No thank you Anne, i've only got my eyes on one girl." He finished it with a kiss to the top of my head.
She gave me a wink before we waved her off.
"Well that was interesting"
"you can say that again"

We headed back inside to find my parents. There's something I might not have shared with him about my parents but I hope he won't overreact.

I could spot them from a mile away. They haven't changed a bit. I ran up to them, hugged my mum who was now sobbing into my shoulder and bent down to give my father a kiss on the cheek.

Yes bent down. My dad's in a wheelchair. Paralysed from the waist down. It didn't keep him for the Military though. They found a place for him. He works in rehabilitating Marines, Navy Seals and Soldiers who have been seriously injured in war. He helps them train and has the highest success rate in Britain. Honestly I think it's because he's the only one in that profession to be noticeably injured himself. The men and women find it easier to talk to him and also it prevents any excuses.

It's so good to finally hold them, have them with me instead of being a voice on the other end of the phone.

My mum pulled back and wiped her tears. She stared at Luke, then me, then Luke, then me, so on. She nudged my dads arm and that's where it started. I knew this game play all too well. My dad would stare it out and the longer you lasted the better your end result.

I'm not sure what I expected out of Luke but it definitely wasn't this. He held my dads gaze, almost challenging him. Then he stuck his hand out and introduced himself. I watched their handshake. This was phase two. Something about a mans handshake telling you who he really is.

I saw my dads grip tighten and so did Luke's. My dad smiled and we got into the car.
Luke even earned brownie points as he refused to let me carry anything, this didn't go unnoticed by my mum.