20 - Fake boyfriend

Aidan had been sitting in the lobby when Sage stormed past Jimmy without a word. He was tempted to chase after her, but having two sisters taught him to let women have a bit of space. More than once, he had been unjustly blamed for all of mankind's mistakes. His sisters somehow thought he invented testosterone.

He instantly assumed the old guy caused her bad mood, although it could be PMS. He thought about texting Brenna to ask for advice in navigating that minefield, but his inquiry would open a can of worms. There was no way his bossy older sister would not want to know about the girl. She would tell Mia who would tell their mother. He needed to stay in New York with his mouth shut.

Rachel arrived a few minutes after Sage and he accompanied her upstairs. She had invited him to dinner, because she hadn't had time to hear about his weekend. When he stopped in on Sunday, she had been ready to leave for a social engagement.

Aidan had spent the afternoon and evening researching the company William asked about. The older man would have found a comprehensive report when he opened his email on Monday morning. Aidan was pleased with himself.

"Why are you so distracted?" Rachel asked.

She had handed him a glass of wine, and he took a drink without swirling the glass. "Something's wrong with Sage." He explained how she entered the building.

"Go check on her and bring her down for dinner. There's plenty of soup."

Aidan liked having an excuse to knock on her door. When she didn't answer his tap, he called to her. Sage opened the door, but stood in her doorway. Her eyes weren't sparkling.

"What's wrong?" His voice was gentle.

"Nothing."

Not believing her, he stepped forward which caused her to move out of his way. It surprised him to see the man standing in the middle of her apartment scowling at him.

Sage asked, "Why are you here?"

"You blew past me in the lobby. Aunt Rachel's inviting you to dinner."

"Well, obviously..."

"I know but..." He raised the volume of his voice. "I'm glad to meet the boss, finally. Aidan Reilly, friend and fake boyfriend. The good news is she doesn't snore."

"What!"

Sage's phone rang on the table next to where he was standing. Aidan looked down. "It's your mother." Without waiting, he answered. "Hello, Bea."

As he listened to Bea speak, he watched Geoffrey shift his feet and sigh. He didn't like Aidan on his turf. Sage clung to Geoff's arm, looking definitely annoyed.

When Bea asked where Sage was, he replied, "She has her hands full."

Sage rolled her eyes at him but never attempted to take her phone.

When Bea hung up, Aidan looked at Sage. "Your father is coming to town on business and your mother is joining him. They'd like to have dinner with us on Friday night. Good thing, I have another suit, right Princess? I'll let you two do what you do. Sage, call me later."

He left without giving either a chance to respond. He heard the older man just before the door shut. "Did you fuck him? He wants you."

Sage was probably insisting both accusations were false, but she would be wrong about one of them. Aidan also suspected he was not her favorite person at the moment. He was extra cocky and normally he let other guys reveal that trait.

"Where's Sage?" Rachel asked upon his return.

"She has company. I don't know what's bothering her, but he'll try to make it better."