18 - Goodnight

Aidan woke to Sage poking him and saying his name. She wore a green dress different from the ones she wore in New York, because it was more sophisticated. The dress covered more of her as it went up to her collarbone and almost to her knees. It was simple but fit so well her narrow waist accentuated the curve of her hip.

"A princess, I must be dreaming."

"Not funny. You need to get ready."

"You look beautiful. Do I have time for a quick shower and shave?"

"You have twenty minutes. Towels are in the bathroom. I'll leave you with some privacy."

He made his way downstairs in fifteen minutes. Bea saw him first and cooed. "Isn't he handsome?"

Her dress differed from Sage's as it was colorful and flowing. She reminded him of his Onset neighbor who was a free spirit artist.

Sage nodded approvingly. "Sage stand with him so I can take a picture. Closer..."

Aidan put his arm around Sage, as if they were dating. Bea smiled with approval. "Oh, your dress matches his eyes." Aidan felt the heat in his neck. "Alright, now kiss."

"Mom. Aidan needs a drink."

Aidan could wait for a drink.

"Sage, I think the man wants a kiss more than a drink."

Aidan wanted to reply, hell yes. "Bea, if Sage is uncomfortable in front of her mother, I'll be happy with a drink."

Sage whispered. "Thanks," as she kissed his check.

It was not the exact kiss he longed for. Feeling her soft lips on his skin only made him want to taste them.

William entered the room wearing a suit. Aidan smiled, because another of Sage's plans had backfired. He shook the older man's hand. "Nice suit, sir."

He shrugged. "Special guest. A special dinner."

Sage looked miserable. "Why are you pouting princess?"

She blurted. "Because they like you more than me."

The other three laughed. "Darling, why are you unhappy we like your boyfriend? Why wouldn't we? He treats you like a princess and is a very nice boy."

"Bea, he's a young man, an intelligent young man. He's offered to put together some information for me."

"What information?" Sage asked.

"Something about a competitor." The older man waved his hand like it was no big deal. Although he had told Aidan, he was looking to acquire the company.

"Did you two have a nice nap?" Bea asked.

Sage looked at her plate. "How did you know we fell asleep?"

"Darling, your door was ajar. I have to say you made quite the adorable couple curled up together."

"Honestly, I'm surprised you're letting us share a room." Sage found some confidence.

"I'm not naïve. This saves one of you from sneaking down the hall."

Aidan wished he wasn't across the table, because it was hard to support her. Although it would ruin his chance to find out if she snored, he said, "Truthfully, if you would prefer we don't share a room, I will stay in my room."

Bea smiled. "He's so respectful. Sage, I'm not sure, we could have picked a better man for you. Please stay where you are."

Across the table, Sage smiled weakly. At least he had tried.