Chapter One: Welcome to Greenway

My body swayed to the beat as I leaned against the wall for support. The thumping of the base vibrated through my body, the familiar lyrics drifting in and out of my ears. I paused to take a sip of my drink and smiled as the cool liquid slipped down my dry throat. All around me were sweaty bodies that moved with completely different rhythms. I shook my head, scoffing at everyone's inability to dance on beat.

"This party is shit," a voice groaned from next to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, well it is Greenway," I laughed. "What did you really expect?"

Marianna rolled her eyes, a silent gesture proving my words to be true. Greenway University is located in the downtown area of a small city. Now, when I said "small" I really meant small. Our largest first year intro classes had less than a hundred people. You could say that it was a blessing and a curse. "Whatever, let's get out of here."

We pushed our way through the tangled bodies, and made our way to the front door. Suddenly, I was hit with enough force to be thrown into the wall. "What the hell man?" I yelled, rubbing my sore shoulder.

"I'm so sorry about that!" A blonde girl rushed to my side. "Are you okay?"

I pushed my curls out of my eyes and nodded. "Control your friend," I muttered.

She smiled shyly and ran to help her friend. He was well over six feet, making it nearly impossible for her petite frame to support his weight. The guy looked familiar. I couldn't remember where I had seen him before, but there was something about his appearance that I recognized. He had curly-kinky hair that hung down in twists, and his outfit consisted of all black. We continued to watch as the pair hobbled off into the washroom.

"You're good?" asked Marianna, her dark brown eyes searching my face. When I nodded, we proceeded to leave the party.

"This completely sucks," I groaned while flinging myself onto my bed. "It's a Friday night, and we're here stuck in our apartment sober as hell. This is not what I signed up for."

Marianna giggled, passing me a tightly rolled spliff. "You're right," she said as I took a pull, "you signed up to get a proper education."

I blew the smoke out the window. "I'm serious. We're halfway through our first semester and not one interesting thing has happened."

She nodded and took the spliff from me. "Is that why you were ready to fight that blonde chick earlier?" Her eyebrows raised, a small smirk playing at the corner of her lips.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "Okay, no that was a joke, but seriously man. We need something to spice things up. Make things interesting around here."

"Like a bucket list?"

My head cocked to the side as I thought over the idea. A smile began to form on my lips. "Why didn't I think of this before?"

"Ah! This is going to be so much fun!" she squealed. Marianna got up from my bed and walked towards my desk. After shuffling around in my drawer for a minute, she returned with a pink fuzzy notebook. "Now you finally have a use for this."

We grinned at each other, fully believing that this was our best idea yet. Truth be told, it was definitely high on the list. Marianna and I had been best friends since middle school, so believe me when I say that we had gone through with some seriously bad plans. I took the notebook and flipped to the first page, which read:

This Book Belongs to:

I neatly wrote our names and on the line, and turned to the next page. After writing the title and the date, I wrote out the word "Rules" and looked up at my friend. "Okay, so first thing's first. Rules and guidelines, go."