seventy-three

Ever since the accident happened, Dom promised her every dat that Julia's memory would be okay again. But of course that wasn't enough for it to actually be okay. There was still an 1% chance it wouldn't go like Dom said it would. And so far, it started to look like it was going to be like that 1%.

And still Dom kept saying it would be okay every time Julia was unsure of it, but they both knew the chance of hat he was actually right got smaller and smaller every day.

Julia had had her third appointment with the doctor to see how her head was going, which meant that it had been three weeks since her first appointment. Her memory was supposed to get better after two weeks, that's what they had told her.

"So you didn't see any progress yet?" the doctor asked both Dom and Julia, as she looked from Julia who was sitting on the bench to Dom who was sitting in a chair in the corner of the doctor's office.

Julia shook her head. "I feel like it got worse."

She looked at Dom for a moment, waiting for him to agree, but he just bit his lip and tried to give her a reassuring look. She knew he was still too scared to admit it. They even fought about it that same morning when Julia told him it got worse and he kept telling her it didn't, ignoring the fact that Dom had to tell her about the night they went to the abandoned building all over again, because Julia had forgotten about it.

And that was the concerning thing: it was her long term memory that was getting worse now. It was supposed to be only short term.

"Why do you think that?" the doctor asked her, writing things down at the same time.

Julia shrugged. "I start to forget things that my boyfriend and I have done months ago. But that's my long term, right?"

"It is," the doctor nodded, "but that still doesn't mean that it's only gonna get worse. This can be an effect as well but can fade eventually."

"But when?" Julia asked her impatiently, wrapping her arms around her stomach. "I fucking hate how I am now!"

The doctor was obviously a little shocked by the sudden aggressive way Julia spoke, as Julia always came over as nice and patient, but she eventually turned away from her paper to look at Julia only to give her a smile and said "I'm sure in two weeks you'll-"

"Two weeks?" Julia cut the doctor off, and she heard how Dom quietly mumbled "Jules" under his breath, but he didn't move.

"You said this would only last for two weeks! I fucking know something is wrong," Julia went on, and she saw how the doctor's eyes had only gotten wider, probably as she was even more shocked and hadn't expected Julia to go off like that.

"Jula stop swearing," Dom said seriously, and normally Julia would laugh because he was always the one swearing and she had to calm him down. But now she was just too frustrated to even react to it.

"Listen Julia, the brain scan showed us that-"

"Do another one!" Julia cut the doctor off again. "Because this one definitely didn't work!"

She jumped off the couch and saw that Dom immediately got up from his chair as well. She ignored him, though, and walked straight out of the doctor's office. Julia knew it wasn't okay to treat the doctor like that: especially because she had done a lot for Julia already. But at this point Julia was just done with everything and honestly too scared for what was coming. Because she knew the doctor was only saying things to comfort her.

As she walked further away from the office, she could vaguely hear Dom say "I'm so sorry" to the doctor before he followed her into the hallway. Julia kept walking to the exit, though.