39:\\ Intimate Relations

Amelia

Dr. Dooley stopped by today. I had to explain to him that his daughter was in the room with a boy and that he was not allowed to see her.

"I came here for Violet, let me in Amelia." Dr. Dooley said as he stood at the front door of our house.

"Look Robert. You don't live here anymore. And you need to call in advance before visiting here."

"Amelia, why? Darling?" He said like he used to. The words still made my heart flutter as I watched him. His blue eyes crinkled at the ends, his handsome face was now shaped with gray and black stubble. His hair had a streak of gray on either side of his fade. He was still the Robert I had fallen in love with. I needed to stop thinking like this; I just missed him. That's all.

"I don't know what to tell you Robert. You've hurt us too much. Please leave."

"I can't, my daughter called me seeking help. I have to help her." He looked like a lonely man who was desperate. I felt sorry for him. He drowned himself in his work and therefore ended up neglecting his family.

"Dr. Dooley, please just leave. Come back another day." I said, I hoped he would heed the warning that my Ethan was upstairs in the same bed that Robert and I had shared for years.

He ignored me, as usual and barged right in. But Violet was asleep with the boy doing his homework on her desk. Innocent enough. His name was Aaron, as I'd learned, but I didn't care to look further into their sort of relationship. Violet had taken up the moral obligation of celibacy, so I wasn't worried that anything was going on. She still always wore her promise ring and I would certainly notice the moment she took it off.

I stood by the door, watching Robert carefully.

"Who are you?" He asked Aaron. Aaron turned to face Dr. Dooley. A look of recognition flashed across his features, then disappeared within seconds.

"Hi, I'm Aaron. I'm Violet's boyfriend. You must be her father. It's a pleasure to meet you." Aaron politely stood up to shake Robert's hand.

Violet stirred in the bed, mumbling incoherent words and groaning. I chuckled, typical of Violet to complain if anyone tried to wake her up.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Robert Dooley." Robert shook Aaron's hand and then went over to Violet.

"Violet, sweetie. Wake up." Violet moaned again, turning on her side and away from Robert. I saw Aaron chuckle in the corner of my eye as he watched her endearingly. Did he like her?

"Go away Aaron." She mumbled as she moved closer to the wall and away from Robert.

"It's not Aaron. Sweetie, it's me." Dr. Dooley said as Violet shot awake. She stared in disbelief at her father as I stood in the corner watching cautiously. If he laid a single had on her, he would be out of here.

"Dad?" She said, her eyes slightly hazy as Aaron crosses his arms. He eyes my ex-husband deeply, I wished I knew what he was thinking.

Aaron turned to look at me with a sparkle in his eye as he turned back to face Violet.

"Dad, we need to talk to you." Violet announced as she stood up and grabbed Aaron's arm. Dr. Dooley eyes the couple suspiciously before putting his suitcase on the ground.

"I'm all ears sweetie." He grinned. I took that as my cue to leave.

Heading down the hallway and into my room lay Ethan.

"What was that all about?" He asked, his arms crossed over his slightly out-of-shape stomach. I sort of wished he had the physique of Robert, but as soon as the thought came through my mind, I expelled it. Men that look like Robert are bound to treat women with a lack of respect and have a tendency to be abusive.

I tried to push back the thoughts of all the times he had laid his hands on my daughter as I shuddered.

"It was Robert. He said Violet called him so he came to see her."

"Why would she do that?"

"Beats me." I shrugged, walking over to the bed. "Now, where were we?"

A wicked smile appeared on Ethan's lips as I sat beside him.

In case you're interested in getting the totally edited/revised/changed paperback version of this book:

AMAZON PAPERBACK LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Read-Minds-ebook/dp/B08RYV11F2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=veronica+Soliman&qid=1609863783&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Apple Store: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)