6. When Coincidence Leads to Perfection and the Lamb is Tainted Black

            Jane didn’t know what was wrong with her. Why had she ignored Rin and proceeded to finish what he’d started? But most importantly, why had the woman even replied? Every question Jane asked, Angelina answered without hesitation. In fact, she actually seemed glad to respond, just as Jane was glad to demand. It didn’t make any sense, but what she did know was that everything fell apart when Jane became emotional.

            Billions of people, dead, Jane thought. Over a thousand bombs, and the rise of a new race.

            She shivered, thinking back on what she’d learned in history class. Apparently, Hitler had believed that certain Europeans were descendants of the Greek gods, so he called them Aryans. Was this actually true, then? If people like Rin and Angelina were the only survivors—people with abilities that could’ve been considered god-like—then Hitler’s plan might’ve actually been initiated. Whoever was behind this literally segregated the beings called Homo sapiens aryans. Jane might’ve been the only real human left.

            Uncle Scott, Jessa, Jane thought. Did they kill you? Are you really gone?

            Jane couldn’t fathom it. She loved them more than anything in the world, and even imagining that the people whom she didn’t like were dead was painstaking. She should’ve never left home. She’d rather be a dead loner with her uncle and sister than be the only human left in the world.

            She held out her hand. “And who’s responsible for this?” she asked, hoping to get another easy response. Without a home to return to, Jane wouldn’t mind hunting down the criminals in charge of destroying civility as she knew it. She just wasn’t sure if she wanted Rin to go along with her.

            The naked stranger gasped and quickly averted her gaze. She seemed afraid. “Why should I tell you?” she asked.

            There, Jane thought. It’s over with. Finally.

            No matter how badly she wanted to know who was responsible for killing billions of people, she felt uncomfortable when Angelina so loyally answered her questions. For a moment, it seemed like she was brainwashed, and even Jane felt similarly. She’d been so determined to hear the answers that she didn’t care how demanding she was. It was completely unlike her. Now, all she wanted to do was cry in her jeep until Rin or Angelina decided it was time for her to die.

            Jane released a shaky breath and looked away. There was a crunching sound behind her, indicating that Rin had moved from his place.

            What was she going to do? She should’ve known that Rin was dangerous. In no way did he look like a murderer, yet he’d killed the cashier with ease and then threatened the life of a mere stranger with those glowing strings that, from what Jane could discern, seemed to be connected to his fingers. She grew nervous as she thought of him. Did he really want to save the world? Or was she too naïve to know that he was really just planning to kill her? Well, there was no way to know for sure. All she could do was test him.

            “Rin,” she said. The sound of his footsteps abruptly halted. She turned around and met his gaze. He looked pale, just like earlier, and his eyes were nearly as wide.

            “Yes?” he whispered.

            Jane glanced back at Angelina, who looked equally as nervous. The naked stranger took another step back and quickly averted her gaze.