||05|| Stealing a Key Card

Pack your things,
This place is not your home.

Pack your things,This place is not your home

Chapter Five
"Stealing a Key Card"

Scarlett's POV:

I walk a little ahead of the guard, Alexander bringing up the rear. I don't trust the guard not to signal a fellow worker as we go, and if there is someone, they can't see Alexander; he's known to never leave his cell. The problem is I don't know if the guard is showing us the right way.

"We need to go through that door," the guard, with a simple rose on his chest, mutters, pointing a shaky finger at a door around the corner. I peak around the wall, only to suck in a breath and retreat a couple steps.

There are four guards in the corridor, one roaming up and down and the other three standing in front of their respective stations. I huff lowly, leaning on the wall and rubbing two fingers against my forehead.

Alexander takes a quick look around the corner before staring at me. His opal eyes glisten, a mixture of amusement and interest floating in their depths. I glare, pursing my lips and begging my heart to slow down. The adrenaline swimming in my veins has it beating to a staccato that rings in my ears.

"How the hell do you find this funny?" I grumble, voice a whisper despite the urge to yell at the giant man. "I'm on the verge of a panic attack over here."

I've never done something like this before. Sure, I've gotten in trouble more times than I can count, but the consequences have never included potential death. Alexander looks like this is a piece of cake compared to the shit he's gotten up to.

"Plan?" Alexander raises a brow, crossing his arms over his chest and tilting his head. It's almost like he's mocking me, but the rational part of my brain reasons I was the one who got him into this mess, so I should be the one to get him out.

I turn to the guard, holding his arm hard enough to bruise, "How do you get to Kylie's cell after going through that door?"

He swallows audibly, opening and closing his mouth like an ineffective ventriloquist dummy. It takes him glancing between Alexander and I, the former giving a threatening rise of a fist for the guard to whimper, "I don't know! I, I don't have clearance! All I know is she was taken through there!"

I resist the urge to shake him, settling for clenching my teeth so tight my jaw aches. Alexander snorts under his breath, muttering something too quiet for me to hear. I don't pay any attention to him, the tiny, malicious part of me too focused on wanting to hurt the guard to worry about Alexander.

"I haven't been, been here for that, that long," the guard shrinks into himself. "I just, just supervise some of, of the activ-activities. Please don't hurt me!"

Stupid man, thinking we'll hurt him for not having the right clearance, he's the only leverage we've got! I stare hard at the door, biting the inside of my cheek and squinting. There's a small plastic device next to the handle, the little red light on it shining in my eye.