II

The burning of my lids stirs my slumber. There is no knowing if is it safe to even wake up.

The light that escapes through the crack of my curtains wakes me up before my alarm goes off. This would normally bother people but for me, it is pure happiness.

My eyelids fight to stay close wanting to sleep more than I am supposed to.

I fight off my sleepiness, my body weighs heavily against the bed.

Most people want to finish their dream. I am living in my nightmare.

Scanning the room there are no new signs of damage. I must have slept great, even though I feel horrible. The sleepless nights are really taking a toll on me. I get off my bed and walk to the bathroom in the hall.

The silence that resides through the house used to bother me - now it's bearable.

Mother must still be asleep.

I walk inside and the bird's nest of brown hair takes up most of the mirror I am going to have to shower before school.

I roll my eyes like I even care what people think of me. Every time I look at myself in the mirror I always try to avoid my eyes but with the dark circles around them it kind of impossible since it makes them pop out at me.

My hands wander up to my eyes and touch my skin around them gently as if it is bruised. I need to get some sleep but I know that it is much easier said than done.

"Cassie!" I drop my head and groan as my mother shouts at me from another room.

"I'm up!" My mother wakes me up by shouting from a safe distance. Don't piss off the human torch and all.

I'm not going to hurt you.

I have told her that a least a dozen time and every time it feels as if it goes in one ear it out the other. It has gotten to the point that I let her believe what she wants - just as long as she stays by my side.

The front door squeaks open and then gently closes behind her. I hold my breath as I hear her old Honda Accord start in the driveway and she reverses out.

I sigh letting all my frustrations out with my breath. I jump into the shower quickly. This is the place where I do all of my thinking. Where I allow myself to lose control a bit at my own will.

I wash up quickly and let the water flow over my head washing off the conditioner as I rub my body with soap. My body heats up as the words from yesterday leak into my head.

Freak!

She going to kill everyone she knows.

I heard that if you look at her straight in the eyes you will instantly combust.

I thought that The Gifted was supposed to be good looking. Look at her she looks raggedy and disgusting she must have been a mistake.

I cover my ears and kneel down letting the water pound at my head hoping that it could pound away the thoughts - they still linger there.

The thing that made them disappear in the first place should come back and take the one it forgot.

The water starts evaporating all around me. The bathroom is filled with quickly with steam making it hard to breathe. The voices slowly start to fade as I stand up and open the window letting the steam escape from the small opening. I let the water wash over me rinsing off any residue of soap left on me.

I grab the towel and wrap it around me and walk to my bedroom. Opening up my closet I stare blankly at my wardrobe I was never the fashionable type. I grab the first things that my hands touch. As long as it keeps me warm I would wear it. I tightly lace up my converse and grab my backpack and head out the door. I walk the mile to school every day.

My mother wouldn't admit it but I knew that every morning she would drive off to my father's house to see Paul and him. She needs that I know but so do I. I haven't seen them in five months. I shake my head trying to get it out of my head. I need to be focus these kids can smell weakness and so far I have been strong - well as strong as I can be.

I make it to school.

Majestic High is the crown jewel of the city.

This is the school that sends more students to Ivy League schools than anywhere else. It doesn't want any bad attention something that I bring to this prestige school. The school could care less that I keep my perfect grades up, or that I stay out of trouble. All they see is my black eyes and automatically assume I'm trouble.

The front entrance is empty which is very unusual. I walk up the steps and pull the double doors open.

"He's back," a girl covers her face trying to hide her excitement.

"He would do that. Return the day before his sixteenth birthday," I hear someone say behind me as I make my way through the crowded hall. A smile slowly spreads across my lips as the attention is finally away from me. I lower my head and try to get to class before I am noticed.

"What are you smiling at, Fierce?" A loud male voice booms. I keep my eyes lowered. The person in front of me is wearing black and white Vans. I try to walk past whoever it is. "You're such a freak!" As soon as I pass them I run towards my first class. Happy that whoever that was had not decided to follow me. I rush to my first class and prepare myself to endure the rest of the day.

The buzz of Oliver Frost returning is all over the school. I knew Oliver before he was sent away to an all boys school for not behaving. I guess he finally manages to convince his parents that he has changed. He has been gone for a little over a year and apparently, everyone knew about his return - everyone except for me.

I notice there was more muscle showing and makeup applied than usual. It is lunchtime and I try to blend in with the crowd as I make my way towards the lunchroom. The buzzing is loud even from behind the doors. It reminds me of a beehive. Everyone has their eyes glued to the front doors - had I known that I would have not entered.

I open up the doors slowly trying not to draw attention to myself but since everyone is already looking I get the glares and hisses. I speed walk to the lunch line and grab ahold of my hood and throw it on trying to put a border between me and all the eyes. I am barely handing my money to the grouchy lunch lady that glares at me every single day. I bet that if she knew which food was going to be consumed by me she would spit in it.

She hands me my change roughly when the cheers erupt through the lunchroom. I gasp and lower my head trying to stay out of his view - he's here. I scan the lunchroom and spot an empty table next to the trashcans. Better than nothing I zigzag and dodge people as I make my way to the table somehow managing not a spill any of my food. Corn, mash potatoes, and chicken nuggets I knew people complain about school food but I rather eat here than have to eat through an awkward silence and my mother's nervous glances. I sit down with my back towards everyone and start picking at my food.

"Welcome back! How was the other school?" Someone shouts from behind me and I try to listen in but the crowd only gets louder. I eat as quickly as possible trying to get out of here. I scarf down my mash potatoes, nuggets, and gulp down my water wiping my mouth with the sleeve of my jacket. I sigh relieving myself from the fullness I am feeling and throw my garbage in the trash can next to me. I stand up and put on my backpack I slide out of the table and start walking to the back exit when something unexpected happens.

"Cassie? Cassie Fierce?" The doubt in his voice stops me. My hands gripping the cold door handle. My fingers twisting around it ready to push them open and make my escape. "Hey Cassie," the silence in the lunchroom makes me shiver. He does not know. I feel his hand grip my shoulder and I lower my head letting my hood fall further down covering my eyes. He turns me around to face him and everyone gasps. "You're not going to say hi?" All I can see is the smile on his face since my hood covers the rest of him.

"Hi," I whisper and turn around trying to walk out of there but he wouldn't let me he holds on to my shoulder tightly. I don't have to turn around to look at him to know he has been working out. He tightens his grip and my chances of escaping are looking slim, Damn it!

***

Your thoughts?

Happy Reading my MoonGazers

J_Quinonez91