XIX

Alyson bites down on her sandwich. The tips of her hair fried as I practice controlling my powers and not hurting innocent people.

Luxor believes with enough practice I will be able to wipe out a room full of demons and humans without hurting a single human.

Oliver's back rests on the edge of the table as he looks at the ocean of teenagers maneuver through the cafeteria avoiding our area completely. Oliver's mother took him to the hospital where they were hesitant to treat him.

Mrs. Frost would have none of that and pretty much told the nurse to either treat her child or her foot was going to go where the sun doesn't shine - or something along those lines.

Oliver's arms are bandaged up nice and tight making it hard for him to train and to do just about anything else.

"Cas," he sighs heavily his eyes still moving from student to student.

"Yeah," the end of the pencil tapping away at my notebook as I try to learn the formulas for chemistry.

"What did The Gifted do to make everyone hate them?"

This piques Alyson's interest as her eager eyes meet mine.

A frown pulls at my lips.

Does it matter what they did? We haven't done anything, nothing except almost burning my entire family, and they want to lynch us.

"Ollie," I breathe out.

"They hate what they don't understand. They dislike you because you are a being more powerful than they are. Humans are weak because they are closed minded. They thought that they were the ultimate species until the first Gifted was born. He nearly froze the entire town and forest."

Oliver glances over at Alyson. His eyes dart to mine for a split second when he looks at Alyson. The lines on his forehead become ever-present.

"He had my power?" Alyson shakes her head.

"Yes and no," she smiles at him as she takes a gulp of her milk, "from the little I could find I learned he needed water to be close by. When he got his powers his town was drenched and when he transformed he was outside when the water on the ground froze over and the rain turned to hail."

"I don't need water to freeze anything it is just by touch."

"You don't, every Gifted is different. He needed water, you don't."

"What about fire?" Oliver's eyes slide over to me and I lower my eyes to my notebook.

I have wondered that as well but never had the guts to ask.

"There was a man," this information brings my attention to her, "his name is unknown but the documents that I found called him, Fuego Dos."

"Spanish?" Oliver furrows his eyebrows and sighs.

"Yes, the man that found him only spoke Spanish."

Alyson takes another bite of her sandwich as her free hand sweeps the crumbs away from her lap.

"Great," I bite the side of my cheek, "none of us know Spanish."

"Speak for yourself," Alyson pulls out a manila folder and slides it over to Oliver. "You took two years of Spanish, correct?"

Oliver narrows his eyes. "You looked at my transcript!"

"Of course," she smiles sweetly at him, "and Cassie's."

I shrug at the information.

"It's Alyson," my nonchalant demeanor must be irritating Oliver.

"And?" He snaps.