XVIII

Since Alyson is human and has a family waiting for her at home we decide that it is best that we all head home with the exception of Oliver. He called his mother and told her that he is going to be staying with me the night. His mother had a fit and I swear I did not want to hear his conversation but she speaks so darn loud.

What you're staying the night at Cassie's house!

"Yes, it's dangerous for her to stay alone," he mumbles and gives me a quick glance.

Bring her here.

"I would but then I know how you would be acting and to be honest we're exhausted," he shrugs as if his mother could see him.

You better not make me a grandmother Oliver Frost!

The heat rises up my neck wanting the earth to swallow me whole.

"My god, mother!" Oliver is as red as a tomato when he turns to look at me and he realizes that I heard what his mother said, "people can hear you," he hisses into his phone. I let my body fall into the cushions of the couch burying my face into them.

He should go home. I can take care of myself. My god that was embarrassing.

"Bye, I'll talk to you later." He stops talking for a moment and then sighs in defeat, "yes we'll be there," he pauses, "and I'll take the girls with me."

The room falls silent for a moment when I hear Oliver's creaky steps make their way towards me. The cushion by my abdomen sinks and I know that he is sitting close to me.

"Are you sleeping on the couch tonight?" I groan and lift my head up to look at him.

"Maybe you should go home so your mother doesn't worry," I say as I push myself up into a sitting position.

"I've already spent the night here and we were okay," he smiles at me.

"Yeah but now your mother thinks that you're here trying to make her a grandmother." His smile falters and then he shrugs.

"Well, she'll get over it. We're going to go see her in the morning, all of us. She wants to get to know you guys and I may add she makes a bomb breakfast, especially when people are coming over and she is trying to impress them."

"Oliver," I start but he narrows his eyes at me, "I'll sleep in my mother's room you can take mine," his eyebrows dip in confusion, "or do you want to sleep in her room?"

"Oh no," he chuckles, "how about you sleep in your bed and I call the couch?"

Before I can fight him he gets to his feet and pulls me up with him, his hands gently lifting me by my elbow.

"Go, I'll be here in the morning."

"Night," I walk into the hallway as I hear the protest of the springs as Oliver gets into the couch.

In the morning I take a quick shower and dress as casual as possible. Why am I so nervous?

"Alyson," Oliver's sleepy voice makes its way towards me, "I'll be there in fifteen."

When the conversations seize I walk into the living room, "Mornin."

"Morning Cas," he smiles at me but the restlessness in his eyes grows heavy.

"Bad nights sleep," his bottom lip quivers as he bites down on it, "you can say that. Come on," he nods his head towards the door. "We have to get the girls."

Thirty minutes later Oliver is pulling up to his house. Alyson and Luxor are conversing over a typical thing such as classes and the weather.

Oliver gets out of the car and helps Luxor and Alyson out as I step out as well.