"We've already been put under house arrest," Lady Telias said. "You've interrogated each of us in turn multiple times. We've been examined by countless mages, one of which is present."

Her eyes flicked to Master Elwith. Some feeling flickered within but disappeared just as quickly. Hunger, perhaps.

"We have vowed and sworn oaths," said Lady Telias, becoming more insistent. "What more would you ask of us? Permission to experiment on our very persons?"

Oh, yes please, thought Master Elwith, sitting up in his tall backed chair, smirking. Dissecting one of these wighties would help to no end.

Again, Lady Telias glanced at the mage, frowning at his reaction. With her lips pouting, Master Elwith had to concede that the being, though unnatural, had some aesthetic appeal on a carnal level. Some would say a dark beauty—raven of hair, black of eye—contrasting sharply with near porcelain pale skin. His mindeye though saw past the appealing veneer, twisting his stomach. He gripped his lifelight in his mental grasp, ready to strike if need be. Such an aberration had only one purpose: extermination.

"We appreciate your candor and patience, Lady Telias," the queen said. "But you must see our concerns as well. You are a night wight. The same as your previous leader. It is difficult for the kingdom to differentiate between the two. Until now, we thought all wights the same. Vicious. Without remorse. The very substance of nightmares. Please, be patient with our hesitation. You must see why it exists in the first place."

"Patience," the night wight said, beginning to pace before the council table. "Patience will not save you or anyone from this threat. When we came to you those months ago, you had some idea that we had leadership, but very little understanding of my people's true nature. The majority of Haimlant still relies primarily on old wife's tales to keep themselves safe. Without us, wights would have remained a mere blight, an occasional nuisance that fed on the fringes of society until it was too late. Now you know of the extent of their organization and end goals. You cannot continue treating them as you once did, knowing what you know now."

"It is interesting, Lady Telias," Master Elwith began, idly picking at nothing on the tabletop, "that the attack on the Domraes should happen so closely to the final decision concerning the treaty."

No one spoke. Some inhaled sharply, glances darting between Master Elwith and the she-wight. Others whispered to each, their murmuring exchanges echoing into the rooms vaulted expanse, making it seem as though the stars now gossiped amongst themselves. In his mindeye, it certainly appeared that way to Master Elwith as almost every person's lifelight twinkled about. The queen's did not even waver.

Your Majesty, thought Master Elwith, swallowing a snicker at the implications.

"Are you suggesting that we had something to do with the attack?" Lady Telias asked, inhumanly still.

Master Elwith remained silent. His eyes smirked with accusation.

"That was a horrific tragedy," said Lady Telias, voice low, turning to face Master Elwith, "which we had nothing to do with. But it only illustrates how vulnerable anyone is with regards to feral night wights and their leadership."

"Yes, how vulnerable," Master Elwith said, nodding unconvinced. "Tell me. Why didn't she begin her campaign to conquer and enslave the entire continent when you and your kind first appeared? You, yourself, have said that your mysterious leader was one of the original wights. What has taken her so long to enact her plans." He straightened his robes and adjusted his small dark cap, barely covering his baldness.

"I've tried to explain this to you, Master Elwith, a number of times. Why do you insist on having me repeat it?"

"To amuse myself," he said, with no hint of a smile.