Chapter 8

Shahrukh opened his eyes slowly then closed them in pain, he had a very bad headache and he was terribly dizzy. He tried opening his eyes again to figure out where he was. He saw three blurred figures standing in front of him while he was lying on a bed.

'did I die?' he mumbled

'he regained his conscious finally' Rani said calmly, so Shahrukh realized that he was in his room

'what happened?' Shahrukh asked and tried to sit up and Rani helped him

'you drank too much' Kajol said sadly

'hmm' Shahrukh said nodding

'you scared the shit out of me' Amira said angrily then sat in front of him at the edge of the bed and punched his arm

'I am really sorry' he said and hugged her

Kajol came closer to them and patted over Amira's shoulder 'he is going to be okay, don't worry' Kajol said. Amira pulled back suddenly and put Kajol's hand away slowly 'there is no need for this Kajol' Amira said, stood up and left the room then Rani followed her.

Kajol sat where Amira was sitting just in front of Shahrukh and looked down 'I am sorry' she said

'why are you apologizing?' Shahrukh asked heavily, still feeling dizzy

'yesterday, when I fainted you were really scared for me, you treated me gently and took care of me but I couldn't bear that. I couldn't look at you in the eyes, I felt so disgusted of myself. I didn't deserve your care or your fear and I don't even deserve your love Shahrukh' Kajol said sadly then looked at him in the eyes 'at that day I was punishing myself by keeping you away from me and losing your gentle touch, and I am still punishing myself Shahrukh. I just want you to know that what I will go through is torturing; don't think that I will be happy without you. It is not only you who is hurt; I am way more hurt than you will ever think' she said while tears kept running down her cheek.

Shahrukh wiped a tear over her cheek with his finger tip, put a lock of hair behind her ear, pulled her closer to him and kissed her tenderly. Kajol surprisingly kissed him back. They both didn't know how long they stayed like this. After a while they stopped, breathing heavily and they kept looking at each other silently. Suddenly Kajol ran out of the room, while Shahrukh stood still shocked from his unexpected behavior yet satisfied, but he had no idea about Kajol's feeling towards this kiss. He rested his head to the pillow, closed his eyes and fell asleep without turning off the light.

In the morning Kajol heard a knock on her room's door, she went to open it and she found that it was Shahrukh standing at the door 'come in' Kajol said, let him in and closed the door. Before Shahrukh could say anything she asked him a question 'did you really mean it? Yesterday... you know, the kiss'

Shahrukh nodded confidently 'yeah, I was fully conscious' he replied then they stood silent for a few seconds then Kajol kissed him

'I just want you trust me' Kajol whispered

'I trust you, I just don't trust life' Shahrukh sighed 'it can be unpredictable'

'I want you to know that I would never choose this if it wasn't the only solution'

'we could have thought of any other way out'

'there is no other way out' Kajol said desperately and hugged him 'I am always yours Shahrukh, no matter what' she whispered in his ear and he hugged her back strongly

Arjit was taken out of the hospital on the very same day as he insisted to attend rubbing Preity with turmeric with the whole family as it was the last day before her wedding. It was like that everyone at that day put aside all their problems and celebrated with Preity, laughed with her and rubbed her in turmeric then after that the girls cleaned up and started drawing on their hands with mehndi. Even Shahrukh agreed to get his hand drawn on; he just let the girls show their art on only one hand. At night the girls and Shahrukh gathered in the living room to spend the last hours for Preity in that house with her.