Chapter 19 - Worse than the Death

There were only few hours left before the dawn. Isabella was sitting on her bed with hugging her knees and her back resting against the headboard. She prepared herself for another sleepless night which would be followed by another tired day.

Something was terribly wrong. She sensed it, but she couldn't put her finger on it. And that something bugged her day and night stealing her sleep. Things seemed fine in Fendrel and she was going to confess their plan to Hoseok next morning and they would leave to Ava by noon. Speaking of which, what if something was wrong in Ava? Even if she hated Namjoon she still cared deeply about Ava. It was the city where she spent her whole life. But Namjoon was there. He was strong. So what could possibly go wrong?

Her trance broke with a sudden tap on the window.

She looked at the glass to find a white owl behind her tired reflection. She quickly stood up and opened the window letting the large bird in.

The owl landed on her lush carpet quickly turning into a man; a young man with a familiar face.

"What are you doing here Tae?" Isabella quickly asked him, voice barely above a whisper to stop her maid who slept in the adjacent room from waking up.

"Isa, we have a problem. You need to come back."

After hearing the news about Seokjin from her loyal friend, Isabella felt her knees buckling underneath her and tears clouding her vision. She shook her head.

"No Tae.. How can Namjoon do such a thing! He was just a human.."

"I know darling I really do." He quickly engulfed her in a warm hug. "I tried to talk with him but you know how stubborn he can be. He thinks that there's a traitor among us after finding out that a spell was casted on Seokjin. He wants Seokjin to tell him who the traitor is but he always refuses to reveal you. Namjoon's patience is always thin. So he ordered to kill the human.."

Isabella broke their hug and stepped back with fear in her eyes.

"No! He can't do that! I will never let him do that."

Taehyung sighed. "You are the only one who can do something now Isa. That's why I came to you. I'm sorry I tried best.." Taehyung looked down at the floor. He truly wished he could do something to save Seokjin but he was powerless against the stubborn king.

"No Tae. It was all my fault. I should have told him about this visit at the first place. It's all my fault.." She said, voice cracking with a sob.

"Don't cry.. Let's see what we can do. Okay?" Taehyung quickly pulled her into his embrace again, not wanting to see her crying.

She nodded with her head resting on his chest.

"We should go.."

"But Isa, you are supposed to leave by this noon. Not now. If you just disappeared, what would Hoseok do? We have to wait and tell him we are leaving."

"But Tae.. what if he already killed..." she trailed off not wanting to think any further.

"Don't worry Isa.. He will wait until the noon. He wants whole city to watch what happens to traitors. We can fly before it." He said planting a soft kiss on her forehead.

Isabella stepped back broking the hug again.

"This is insane. I might not be able to just go and stop him if he is so determined. We need a plan."

"What plan?"

"Just wait here. I have to write a letter." She said before quickly turning back and walking to her table.

The weak human boy was thrown harshly to the marble floor for the third time

The weak human boy was thrown harshly to the marble floor for the third time. Seokjin closed his eyes and prayed for whoever gods lived up there knowing that it was his last day. He wanted to cry. He wanted to scream. But he was too weak to do either of them.

'Just wait a little. All the pain will be gone in next few hours,' he told himself to clam down.

Namjoon broke the silence. "This is your last chance human. Speak! Before I order these guards to drag you to the city and let all Avisians to see what happens to the traitors, you can confess and save your pathetic life." He took a step towards his prisoner. "Who. Casted. The. Spell?" He asked slowly, putting weight on each and every word.

Seokjin opened his eyes and looked at the king with all his might.

"I'd rather die.."

Even if his voice was a whisper, Namjoon clearly heard it all.

"Don't play with my patience child. I can give you wealth. I can give you anything you want but I am perfectly capable of ending your here in this minute too. You can choose what do you want for yourself. Death or glory? All you need to do is tell me one damn name!"

Seokjin smirked at him. "My king, the guilty of living a life with glory you don't deserve is far too worse than the death."

With that, Namjoon's patience ended. No one had ever talked him that way. Since he was a child he got each and everything he wanted. If those things already belonged to someone else it didn't matter. Everyone bowed to him. Everyone was always ready to serve him. The only person he couldn't control was his little sister Isabella, but she also eventually gave up knowing that Namjoon will keep pestering her.

But this fragile human was different.

A mere human challenged Namjoon; the powerful king of Ava. Even if he tortured him to death, he didn't utter a word. It damaged his pride, mocked the loyalty of his men. Namjoon couldn't stand it anymore. He forgot all his plans to do Seokjin's execution infront of all citizens. In fluid motion he pulled the shiny dagger out.

"TELL ME WHO DID THAT!!"

He lunged towards Seokjin, aiming the dagger at his heart and-

The doors opened harshly with a loud bang.

"I did it!"