8

the clock strikes 11:30, meaning that azures class is over and now she has an hour and a half until her next class.

slinging her bag over her shoulder, azure exits the classroom and walks out into the literal miami heat. she finds her sunglasses—along with her phone—in her bag and slides them on over her face. azure walks as she texts sadie to see if she's busy.

sadie calls instead of responding and azure puts the phone up to her ear after she asks answers. "come to djs!" sadie says.

"okay, i'll be there soon," azure says, hanging up and quickly heading towards her car.

she drops her stuff into the backseat and gets in the driver seat seconds later. connecting her phone to the aux, she scrolls and scrolls until she settles on a playlist titled 'ENERGY', that consists of megan thee stallion, rico nasty, city girls, kehlani, and more.

countin up by rico nasty starts playing through the speakers and azure drums her fingers to te best as she drives. azure is pretty excited to see derrick—he's been super busy and that's normal, but he's also one of her good friends and she misses him.

azure pulls up to derricks house and parks along the side of the street behind sadies camry. she gets out, leaving her belongings in the back of her car, and heads up to the door. ringing the doorbell, she waits a few seconds before she hears footsteps and then the door swings wide open, revealing derrick. "what's up, girl?" he says, moving so azure can walk in.

she gives him a quick hug before removing her shoes. "not too much, how are you?"

"chillin. sade in the back," derrick says. azure nods and steps out of her shoes before heading back into the living room to find sadie sprawled out on his couch.

"hey, Z," she says, waving at her. azure throws up a peace sign and takes a seat on the the single seater. derrick comes back with gatorade and gives it to azure who thanks him.

"what's good with y'all? it's been awhile," he says, settling next to sadie, who puts her legs across derricks lap. azure raises an eyebrow at them, but doesn't say anything. if they were more than friends, she'd definitely know. "you still talking to my boy?"

azure smiles at the mention of tyler and shrugs. "yeah, it's been a few days, though." they've been pretty dry for a couple days, but she knows that he's busy, and so is she so it doesn't really bother her. she'd like to hear from him, though.

"the team been busy. but i'm glad y'all talking. you seemed to hate ol' boy at that lil party," derrick says, an amused smile on his face. azure shrugs, nonchalantly, holding back the smile on her face. it's fun talking to tyler.

she starts to say something but stops herself, remembering what he said last week. friends. that's all she is to him—a friend. and that's cool, but she doesn't get giddy when her friends text her.

"what?" derrick asks, noticing the change in her face. azure shakes her head, tossing the throw pillow in her lap onto the couch next to her. she gets up and announces that she's going to use the bathroom, and exits the living room.

she had almost forgotten about the friend comment—forced herself too, or else it was going to bother her and make her texts feel weird when she sent them—until now. azure knows how she feels about tyler, she's sure of it, even if she acts like she doesn't. her feelings are obvious when she starts smiling at his texts or when his name pops up on her phone.

entering the bathroom, azure turns on the light and sets her phone down on the counter, just as it starts ringing. she looks at the screen and sighs. answering the phone, she puts it up to her ear. "hello?"