18

"this place is nice!" myles says as he enters tyler's house. azure follows behind him and lets out a light laugh, taking her shoes off and leaving them at the door. tyler's dog, rosco, barks from his cage in the living room and myles takes off running down the hallway. "and you got a dog!?" he yells from the living room.

tyler shakes his head and lightly pushes austin forward to catch up with myles. "chill," austin says, swatting tyler's hands off his shoulders. austin shakes his head and tyler only smirks—the perks of being the first born.

austin enters the living room, leaving tyler and azure alone in the hallway. she starts after him, and tyler grabs her arm and gently pulls her back to him, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing the left side of her jaw. "see? they like you," he says, putting his hands on her hips. "so are you done being worried?" he asks.

azure turns her head to the left to look at him. she casts her eyes down at his lips and then back up to his blue eyes. "mhm," she says, leaning in and placing her lips on his, her hand resting on the side of his face. azures neck starts to hurt, so she completely turns so that she's facing him and puts her arms around his neck.

the sound of rosco's nails against the hardwood make both of them jump, remembering that they really aren't alone, and pull apart. "what's his name?" myles asks loudly as he comes into the hallway to retrieve the dog.

"rosco," tyler says, clearing his throat. he puts his hand on azures hip and starts guiding her further into the house after myles picks up the dog. azure raises her eyes in shock at how willing tyler's dog is to let myles pick him up. when she tried to pet him a few weeks ago, he almost bit her and tyler put him in his cage for the rest of her time over.

"what the hell," she mumbles, glancing up at tyler. he only shakes his head.

"don't ask."

azure goes and sits on the single chair in the living room, leaving the couch for tyler and his brothers. instead of going to sit on the couch, tyler motions for azure to scoot over. he squeezes himself onto the chair and pulls her onto his lap, stretching his legs so she has more space to sit. "what do yall wanna do? you hungry?" tyler asks his brothers, his hands resting on azures thighs.

"man, i want some wings," austin says, putting his hands on his stomach. myles nods and tyler looks up at azure.

"sure. can i change real quick?" she asks him. tyler nods and she gets off of his lap and quickly goes upstairs. she's left some clothes here—mostly loungewear and pajamas—and digs around in his dresser for a pair of her own sweats.

she quickly pulls her jeans off and leave them in a heap on the floor, and then grabs a grey nike hoodie from his closet. azure slips her arms in the sleeves and ties the strings together before bounding back downstairs, tyler and his brothers putting on their shoes.

azure slips on her dunks and tyler grabs her hand and leads her out of the house, the two younger boys following. "y'all want wingstop?" he asks, looking over his shoulder.

"yessir!" myles yells. azure laughs at his enthusiasm, and it makes so much sense to her that he really is the youngest child; the most outgoing and the most personality. austin is so clearly the middle kid; quieter and laid back. tyler just orders them around, but because he's looking out for them. she likes seeing things so clearly, and wonders how it looks for her own family.

-

tyler elbows azure for the third time on accident, and she sucks her teeth. "bro, move," she says, dropping her chicken into the basket.

"my bad, Z," he says, laughing. she rolls her eyes and nods at myles.

"switch with me," she says to myles, getting up out of her chair so he has no choice but to move. they slide their food across the table and swap seats, azure now next to austin and across from tyler. "thank you." she says.