BOOK 4: Substitution: The Game of Alters

BOOK 4 of CASTELLO DI CARTE MAFIA CHRONICLES

THE GAME OF ALTERS is available only on Radish Fiction!

***

FABIOLA

Marriage means different things for different people. To me, it's the means to an end.
If they thought marrying into someone else's family would make me forget how broken mine is, they were delusional. If anything, my husband's family reminds me more of mine because of how different they are from what I've known.
But my mind is made. The plan is set.
The Mafia world is where I was born and am tired of being a part of. Running from home was impossible, considering my brother's position, but here, no one would stop me. Least of all, my husband.
I am, after all, a surrogate to the woman he truly wanted.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
He finds me, despite my carefully crafted plans. And he's determined to make me pay.
Worse, I love his punishments more than I'm willing to admit.

TERENZIO

I'm a calm person, calmer than most men in our line of work. One would think I'm incapable of making rash decisions or acting out on my anger. But they couldn't be more wrong.
First, the woman I was pursuing ran away. And now my wife. The reason I let the prior go was only because she wasn't mine, but my wife is.
I do everything in my power to make her feel safe, afford her the freedom she desires and promise her a future I was sure she wants.
In return, that cunning woman seduces me to drop my guard, sweet-talks me into believing she is finally happy and blends into my family, only to sprint at the first chance she gets.
She should've known better than to escape the monster, though.
There's no corner on this earth that can protect her from me. And when I find her, I'll make sure she can never leave me again.
Everyone has a dark side. She just hasn't glimpsed mine yet.