Chapter Ten - Protect You

I remember waking up in the bedroom. I saw everyone around me except Kees. Wait, what happened? Why am I here? Why is everyone just.. around me? They look worried.

   "Where's Kees? What happened?" I finally asked.

   Jo was crying and replied, "You almost died from a murderer last night, remember?"

   I remember a bit now, but my memory of last night is hazy.

   "I don't really remember," I told her, "I just remember being cut twice, then I almost got finished off but someone saved me. Do any of you know who saved me?"

   "Kees saved you," Alex spoke with a medical kit, "he almost died in the process of fighting the murderer too. Apparently, the murderer had a gun and he got shot in places that made his injuries severe."

   I.. couldn't believe it. He was gone because he was trying to find a weapon to protect me. I thought he was just leaving me there to die.

   "Why isn't he in here right now?" I asked.

   Annie looked at me and explained, "He's on the other side of the room, but you shouldn't get up. You're injured too."

   "It's my fault I'm weak and helpless. He had to save me, and he didn't deserve to be hurt," I started to cry, "I am so useless when it comes to protecting people. I can't even save my friend. He had to save me and by doing that he got injured. It's all my fault he got injured, and it was all my fault we were targeted."

   "That's not true!" John said, "you saved me during the last trial when almost everyone was going to accuse me of murder!"

   "You even saved Kees and yourself once from being accused of murder. Since you saved Kees, it was probably his time to save you, even if it meant risking his life." Kai added.

   "I didn't risk my life to save him though.. I.." I was crying so much. I couldn't stand that Kees was suffering because of me.

   "Don't cry," Thomas said, "Sabrina, Jordan, Jackson, and everyone else who passed away are rooting on for us to find out who the last murderer is. We will find out who put you two in this state and end this for you two. You saved all of us and got us all this far. We owe you two one. You always have a lead to the investigation while all of us can't find anything. We'll make sure you two get better so we can all be happy."

   Everyone in the room nodded their heads in agreement.

   "I believe in you guys to find the murderer. Don't get this wrong," I smiled.

   Everyone left the room except for Alex. I saw Kees for the first time after waking up.

   I hope he wakes up soon. He will probably be the key to find out who the final murderer is, because he fought them. I want to be like him. He is smart, tough, protective, honest, everything. He gets every accusation right. It's amazing.

   "It's my turn to protect you now," I whispered as I looked at him while wiping the tears off of my face, "after all, we did promise we would escape together, right?"