“He didn’t. Jakeson and Jared took care of him. Brendon already told me that he’s in the hospital.”

“Then it’s your fault if it happens again.”

I blinked. “What?”

“If Miles goes and does that to another girl it is your fault for not putting him in jail like he belongs.”

“He wouldn’t dare try it again. Not after what they did to him.”

“You mean he won’t do it to you again.”

I held my breath at a loss for words. “I just want to forget it ever happened.” I whispered.

As if flipping a switch his face softened as he looked at me. I turned my eyes away uncomfortable with his gaze. His hand gently rested on my chin and he tipped my head up to look at him. “It will never happen again. I won’t let it.”

Kale looked into my eyes and I looked away. “You’re not always going to be there.”

“Don’t say that.”

“It’s true.”

I looked back up at him and the moment I did he lowered his mouth to mine, kissing me gently. My heart stopped and I blinked utterly surprised. He pulled back and from the corner of my eye I saw Jared standing there eyes as wide as mine. You have to be kidding me. 

Jared’s eyes met mine and the disgusted look on his face felt like a punch to the gut. “Jared!” I yelped pushing Kale off of me as I chased after him. “Jared stop!” He ducked into the boys bathroom and I stopped outside the door.  I can’t believe I’m doing this. I pushed open the door and marched in. I walked past a boy standing at the urinal paying no attention to him as I pushed Jared against the wall catching him by surprise.

“This is the guys room.” A voice from behind me said.

“Shut up.” I hissed giving him the evil eye and looking back to Jared. “We need to talk.”

He shook his head and pushed me off of him. “No we don’t there is nothing to talk about.”

“Don’t act like that.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. I wasn’t the one swapping spit with my brother!” he practically screamed at me.

“One he isn’t my brother.” I blocked his path as he moved to leave the bathroom. “Our parents are engaged, not married. And two I didn’t kiss him. He kissed me.”

“Didn’t look like you minded.” He hissed.

“He caught me by surprise. We were just talking about the night of the party and he leaned in and kissed me. I didn’t see it coming and I didn’t know how to react so pardon me for being vulnerable right now.” I growled back and walked out of the bathroom.

I marched down the hall and into photography my mind spinning. “Hey Skylar what are you doing after school?” I asked him as he walked in. I can’t face Kale.

“Do you need a ride home?”

I shook my head. “Actually I was wondering if you wanted to do something after school. I didn’t really have anything particular in mind.”

“Can you swim?” he asked grinning brightly.

I nodded. “Me and some of the guys were going to go surfing, it’s supposed to be awesome waves today. You should come with.”

“I can’t surf.”

He laughed. “That’s okay. You’re allowed to swim too.”

“Then yeah that would be awesome. If you give me directions I could meet you there. I’d have to switch into a swimming suit.”

“I can wait at your house while you change. Just make sure to pack a lot of suntan lotion. You’re fair skin is a sight for sore eyes with all the tan girls here.”

I chuckled and pulled out my camera. “The beach will be the perfect opportunity for some pictures.”

Hot N Cold - Katy Perry