12: First Day Jitters

I tapped my fingers nervously on my desk as I stood staring out my bedroom window and at the edge of the long driveway. It was the first day of school and I couldn’t have possibly be any more nervous. The school unfortunately had uniforms and I felt awkward in the skirt and button up blouse.

Skirts weren’t part of my normal outfit but the black slacks that were offered almost made me gag.  My book bag lay empty of everything but a few notebooks, some thin point sharpies, my sketchpad, and a pouch with mechanical pencils.

The fact that I wouldn’t be getting my schedule until I arrived in the office didn’t help with my nerves at all. Jared had been nice enough to give me a quick tour of the school but all of my confidence had left upon realizing how large and confusing it was. I brushed my hair and pushed the brush into the front pouch of my backpack. Okay, calm down Rein. It’s just school. What’s the worst that could happen? So some of your classmates might not like you, it’s not as bad as it seems.

I took a deep breath and slung my book bag over my shoulder. The familiar sight of Jared’s truck greeted my eyes and I left my room quickly, bounding down the steps and almost running straight into Kale. He smiled at me as he took another bite of the perfect red apple he held in his hand. His tie hung loosened around his neck and his light blue fresh looking shirt came slightly over his pants, not tucked in. “You look cute, ready to go?” he asked jingling his car keys with his free hand.

“I’m getting a ride from Jared.” I passed him and walked out the door silently freaking out on the inside.

Jared hopped out as soon as he put the car in park and opened the door for me. “The uniform suites you well.” He complemented me and I hopped into the seat and closed the door behind me.

I glanced out the window to see an upset Kale closing the front door behind him as he glared at the truck. “Oh thanks.” I blushed feeling like a complete idiot.

“So are you nervous?” he asked looking over at me as we pulled out of the driveway with Kale in his Mustang right on our tail.

“More nervous than you would believe.” I groaned as I opened the window a crack for some fresh air. Once we got onto the main road Kale followed at a safer distance.

Jared gave me a comforting smile as I clicked on the radio. “You’ll be fine. If you need help to any classes I can show you the way. You have to pick up your schedule in the office first right?” I nodded, not making eye contact. “I can take you there no problem.” He looked over at me as I fiddled with the volume turning it down a little. “Hey, don’t worry. I’ll evil glare any of the little girls that are nasty to you and then gossip about them behind their backs.”

I laughed and ruffled my hair. He’s right I’m being a complete sissy. Calm the fuck down woman, it’s school for crying out loud! “Oh I love this song!” I yelped as Bleed it Out by Linkin Park . Came onto the radio.

“Well then by all means you won’t mind singing with me!” he laughed as he turned the volume up so loud the truck started to shake. We rolled down our windows singing at the top of our lungs as if we were the only people alive. From the corner of my eye I noticed Kale as he sped past us and down the road ahead of us. 

“I bleed it out, dig it deeper just to throw it away. . .” we sang in tune with the chorus banging our heads to the beat laughing every now and then when we’d fumble on a word or two.

Bleed it Out - Linkin Park