5. guardian of artefacts

Some days later, I got my first letter from my father.

He'd written my mother every week for as long as I could remember. As England's Guardian of Artefacts, he was always traveling—but I'd never resented him for being gone. Mum was more than capable of taking care of me, and the stories Dad sent home were well worth his brief absences.

I smiled to know that those letters weren't something I'd lose now that I'd left home.

Dear Aven, it read,

I can't write much—I'm two minutes from diving into the Helodranon! Believe it or not, this is the first chance I've had to write in the last week. An old bit of dark magic's gone missing, a bracelet they call the Bloodstone—like the mineral, you know, heliotrope. Now I'm Hopping myself all over the globe trying to find it. I'll be at Olden in a few days, if all goes as planned.

Lots of love,

Dad

P.S. Send Ehr & Adam my congratulations on the Councillor seats.

P.P.S. Better not mention the Bloodstone to your friends. Last thing we need right now is a panic.

I paused at the word friends, looking up. Noah sat at his desk with his back to me, scribbling furiously. He'd been at it for hours, all to prepare for Ehren's class this afternoon. I wouldn't even know how to prepare if I wanted to.

Did I really have friends?

It was true that I'd spent almost every breakfast and dinner with Ivy and Noah since arriving at Olden. It was also true that Ivy brought her phone and snacks to our room every night, and that I'd even been coerced into watching a movie with them once. And I had been unduly terrified when I'd hurt Noah with that spell.

But I'd also kept Keiko's note, the one with her room number on it. Her proposition seemed almost too good to be true—a friendship of convenience with someone well-liked, someone who would keep the questions off my back, someone who wouldn't get attached. Before Noah and Ivy, I would've said yes in a heartbeat.

Now I felt sick with uncertainty.

"I'm gonna head to class early," Noah said, gathering his things. "I'd like to ask Professor Cross some questions."

Ehren would love that. Noah was already his favorite student, although he pretended to be impartial. Sometimes I wondered if I should invite Noah to our weekly dinners, then was angry with myself for even having the thought. My family, my shadows, my solitude—these had always been enough. It would be selfish to ask for more.

I headed for class sluggishly, taking my time so that I didn't catch up with Noah. Students parted where I walked. I'm not the fucking Queen, I wanted to tell them, but instead I played my part—chin high, gaze indifferent. They seemed satisfied.

The crowds dwindled the further I climbed up into the tower, until I was alone. It was then that I heard the low voice up ahead.

"God, are all humans this weak?" It was Jonah Bonavich. He gave a dark chuckle. "It's a lucky thing you're pretty, or you wouldn't be good for much of anything at all."

I heard Noah whimper, and my magic acted without command, streaking in tendrils up the spiral staircase. I followed it, rounding the corner to find Jonah pressing Noah up against the wall, one hand over his mouth.