4. a flash of red

"So," Adam said, "what's Ehren like as a professor?"

Ehren choked on his water, and I stifled a laugh. We were gathered round the table in their small kitchen, gorging ourselves on lasagna. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed non-magicked food.

"He's good," I said honestly. "Everyone's terrified of him, though."

Adam laughed, and Ehren went red. "They are not."

"They really are," I insisted. "I dunno if anyone said a word in class today. They just sat there and took notes. It's freakish."

Adam couldn't stop laughing. I wondered if Ehren had told him about Jonah Bonavich on Monday. I knew Adam hadn't had a chance to tell Ehren about the infirmary today; Ehren and I had arrived for dinner at the same time.

"Okay, okay," Adam said, rubbing Ehren's arm. "Tell me what Aven's like as a student, then."

Ehren shrugged. "Not bad. I'm well aware that syntax isn't a popular favorite." He paused. "Remind me, Aven, what's the name of that human boy, the one with the curls? I was just reading his paper on inflections, and it's perhaps the best I've ever received."

"Oh," I stammered, glancing at Adam, who seemed to have connected 'human boy' and 'curls' with Noah. "That's, er, Noah Penn. He's my roommate."

Ehren smiled. "He's a good one, I think. I'm glad you'll have a friend."

"He's not my friend." I spoke too quickly, and Ehren and Adam exchanged a glance. I bit down hard on my tongue. "My mum said you two are Councillors this year?"

Adam jumped on the change of subject. "Yes! And about time, too."

I tilted my head. "Aren't you a bit ... young?"

I'd always thought of Councillors as ancient, perhaps because once you won your seat, you were very unlikely to be voted out of it. The Four Councillors were the closest we had to a magical government in England: one sorcerer, one human, one demon, and one angel. Ehren would take the demon's seat; Adam the angel's one. The Councillors passed legislation through the votes of the people, although they had no means of enforcement. They were the most powerful official seats one could have—and Ehren and Adam were only in their forties.

"Yes," Adam allowed, "we're a bit young. But Bigge and Ward—the men we won the seats from—were Councillors back when angels and demons were still at war. They never would've taken steps toward peace."

"Peace?" I echoed. "I thought we were at peace."

"We are," Ehren assured me. "But there's still so much tension. Adam and I, we don't just want angels and demons tolerating each other. We want them working together. Becoming friends ... and, er, partners." He smiled at Adam, who smiled back. I cringed as they joined hands. That was my cue to leave.

"I wish you luck," I said, standing, "and thank you for the meal."

∆∆∆

I didn't go back to the room that night. I wanted to make sure Noah was asleep before I returned. I couldn't face him again, not yet.

I wandered the stone corridors, taking deep breaths of silent air. It was growing crisp. The sun would sink sooner and sooner every night. My shadows would grow stronger.