41. ** No Matter What **

Time.

It must be the most mysterious concept in the universe, as we will never be able to fully grasp its existence. When we close our eyes and beg for mere moments to last for an eternity, it proudly mocks our powerless pleas with a snap of its fingers. With that, our dreams are shattered, mercilessly ripped from our hands, as the coveted present dissolves into a mere memory. Ever the opposite, we scream frantically when confronted with trauma or terror; We demand immediate relief from our unbearable anguish, only to have it swirl and slow to a sluggish snail's pace.

Time never missed an opportunity to laugh at my expense, and this moment was no different. Ever entertained by my struggle to break through its omniscience, it cursed my body with half the speed that my mind had ordered. I wanted to put an end to the slaughter, to stop the needless loss of life, to prevent the weapon from ever being delivered into the enemy's hands.

And yet, I still pushed on. My body's sudden resurgence breathed life back into my legs as I sprinted forward, but every time my heel met the ground it felt like I had stepped on a landmine. Before numbness could even set in, my foot would reunite with the earth for another agonizing shockwave. Wounds and gashes may have been closing up, preventing further blood loss, but none of the pain healed along with it. Even though my mind was bombarded with excruciating levels of pain, relentless anger, and blinding vengeance, the most innocent flickering flame caught my attention and began to radiate a calming warmth within, seemingly shining its light over the path that had been hidden in shadow. Through all of the chaos, I had lost my focus, but stillness had returned to clear my mind. I could feel each lung expanding as I sipped in a deep full breath, allowing my heart to beat slower...and that was when I realized...

...that the odds of both Levi and I living through endless trauma and horrors, only to keep crossing each other's paths and eventually create a new life, were exponential... impossible really...

...and yet, that tiny little soul was still beating the odds, giving its all, striving for the chance to live, even if the world outside the womb was cruel... its sheer existence was nothing short of a miracle.

So, there was no way I could die. Not here... not yet...

I had given myself the mission of stopping the Cart Titan, but if my own death would follow... then maybe stalling her would be enough? Could giving everyone time to seek shelter, regroup, come up with a plan- something- be enough?

It didn't matter anymore. My mind was made up. I would make it out alive.

No. Matter. What.

As I made my way through the low-hanging branches and tall grass that hid me from sight, I could see where the Cart Titan had stopped to dislodge another boulder for the Beast Titan's use. With her back facing me, there was a chance I could sneak up behind her and slash her nape, but the remaining cargo strapped to her back doubled as protection. Curling my hands into fists, I exhaled fully, setting aside my "Do-or-Die" mentality, and stepped into sight.

"Alright. Let's talk then," I growled.

Startled, the Titan turned and yelped out in surprise. Her eyes widened as she took one step back. Then, much to my disbelief, she opened her mouth and said, "You're still alive...?"

Before I replied, she muttered a whisper to herself, "Reiner, is this what you meant? What Annie wrote about...?"

"And no one else needs to die here today! Tell the other Titans to stop this madness! All we wanted was to take back our homes! To live in peace!"

"Is that what they made you believe!?"

Ripping her upper half from her Titan's nape, the dark-haired woman stared at me intensely, awaiting my answer, but I was rendered speechless.

"What other lies have they burned into your brain!?"

I couldn't shake the concern that filled her eyes when she spoke, but at least our crazy conversation was preventing her from returning to the Beast. As I took a cautious step forward, I lifted my hands to show no ill will. Her strange demeanor and unexpected questions genuinely piqued my interest. However, the appearance of multiple green smoke trails caught my eye, pulling my attention back toward the Wall where the battle raged on.

My stomach dropped as I uttered a weak "no..." past my lips. I could hear their shouts full of fear as I watched a dwindling number of men charge toward the Beast Titan. With each blow of rubble delivered, more soldiers were mercilessly ripped to shreds, only to have the Beast's laughter follow.

Erwin... was this really the only option you had left?

Dammit, Levi... how could you let Erwin lead the charge?

Levi...

...surely you're still alive...right?

Unable to comprehend the gut-wrenching sight before me, I had become catatonic without even realizing it. So, when my feet were swiftly swept off the earth, I didn't have enough time to react. The giant hand that abruptly enveloped my body pinned my arms to my side as my legs dangled underneath its grasp. On pure instinct, I struggled and squirmed to break free, but was rather surprised when each finger released me so quickly. When I moved to retaliate, I took in my cramped surroundings and gasped. I had been dropped into one of the Cart Titan's cargo crates, with nowhere to escape. Through the cracks of the wood, I barely caught sight of the dark-haired woman as she began to descend back into her Titan. However, before she was fully engulfed in the nape, she muttered,

"You're coming with me."