5. ** Protect **

By the time Levi and I had returned to the cabin, dawn was beginning to break. Knowing we wouldn't fall back asleep even if we tried, we decided to wake everyone up and get an early start. We all worked together to fix a large breakfast, fully aware of Hange's fast approaching arrival with her squad.

Levi took his turn on watch, relieving Armin at his post. I had to convince Levi that he could in fact eat and keep watch simultaneously, as I handed him a plate of food on his way out the door. I couldn't help but sneak a peck on his cheek when he reluctantly agreed to take it with him. And he threw a feisty glare my way when I sent him out the door with a flirtatious pat on the butt. The hell has gotten into me?

I enjoyed eating the meal we all worked hard to make, so much so that I went back for seconds. Apparently I had really worked up an appetite earlier. I should probably fix a second plate for Levi too then...

After everyone was full, we began to clean up and prep for a long day with Hange. Historia and I were washing the dishes, and she stayed fairly quiet, per usual. I didn't realize until Historia started staring at me, that I was humming to myself while scrubbing each plate.

"(Y/N), I'm glad you're feeling better today."

"Hm?"

"You keep smiling and humming and staring out the window..."

"Oh, um..." I felt my face starting to burn. "Yea, just happy to be all healed up and everything..."

I handed Historia another plate to dry, then paused. I looked out the window from where we stood, and I could see Levi scanning the horizon like a hawk, while he slowly chewed a bite of bread. I guess it was pretty odd to see someone experiencing and exuding such giddy joy... especially coming from me.
It was strange to feel so fearless about the future; a future filled with endless possibilities. I sighed, then turned back to face Historia, wondering if her kindness stemmed from that same feeling...or if that was just Krista...

"Historia, Levi told me how you were able to open up to everyone about your past, and who you really are.  I really wish I could've been here that night... But, even though Levi told me how incredibly tragic and lonely your childhood was, I've really only ever heard about how genuinely kind you are. And if it's okay, I'd like to learn more about my new squad mates while I have the opportunity. It- It's kinda nice to have some downtime lately, don't you agree?"

She turned back to the dishes and nodded as she continued drying the plate. She seemed so sad.

"So... um... What's it like with Captain Levi?"

I about dropped the plate I was washing when I heard Historia's question. She must have instantly noticed how flustered I was and quickly rephrased her sentence.

"H-having him as a Squad Leader! I mean what's it like having Captain Levi as a Squad Leader? Like to fight alongside him? I- I know he's the strongest soldier we have, and I'm so grateful to have him form a squad around protecting Eren and I... but he's so... so..."

"Cold?"

Widening her eyes, she looked over at me again. This time, I had a warm smile on my face. I set down the last clean dish and rested my hand on her shoulder.

"He's definitely not the warmest, I'll give you that. But, if you're looking for someone who will give his life to protect you, it's Captain Levi. Underneath that cold, hardened exterior of his, is the most caring, sacrificial, honest and trustworthy human being I've ever met. He's just more... blunt or straightforward than most," I smiled.

Lowering her gaze, she matched my smile and sighed.

"That's good... I knew someone like that once..."

"Ymir?"

I could see tears beginning to well up in her eyes at the mention of her name. She began wringing her hands, then balled them into fists, whispering, "idiot..." under her breath. I patted her arm reassuringly, then turned back to the stack of dishes we had cleaned. I lifted half and handed it to her, then headed toward the cupboard with mine.

"Well, Historia, it seems we have a few things in common after all."

No more had we put away the breakfast dishes, did Levi walk in with Hange and Moblit following close behind. He signaled for us all to sit down together. I didn't like the expression on his face, or Hange's for that matter. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

While we waited for everyone to settle in, I caught Levi glancing over at me, oddly concerned about something.  I lifted my eyebrows, as if to question what was bothering him so much.  Just as he leaned in, Hange began to address the room sternly.  Levi shook his head and tapped his palm on the table.  I took that as him saying we would just talk later.

Although Hange's initial topic of discussion was Eren's ability to close up the hole in Wall Maria, and how exactly he would go about doing it, Levi finally got Hange to admit what was bothering her.  She quickly conceded and brought us all up to speed concerning Pastor Nick, and how he was tortured to death. He apparently stayed true to his word though, about taking the secret of the walls to his grave. Not even the merciless MP's were able to make him talk.

  I watched Levi turn his attention towards Historia, who immediately became uneasy as subject of his gaze.  He was quick to point out that Nick's silence meant Historia was safe for the time being.  She glanced my way after Levi turned back to Hange to urge her to move forward with her experiments.  I gave Historia a sincere look of reassurance, and she seemed to understand what I had meant before about Levi.  From anyone else's perspective, Levi's glance was full of disdainful annoyance.  But she seemed to have recognized the underlying relief in his tone, knowing he just wanted to protect her.

Once our meeting was adjourned, we split into a few different groups.  Eren, Mikasa and Armin accompanied Hange and Moblit in the first round of experiments.  Historia, Connie and Jean took on the last few household chores, while Sasha was next to keep watch. The rest of Hange's Squad tended to the horses and rested up from their ride.

Even though Levi was originally going to accompany Hange, he stayed behind to speak to me first.  Pulling me aside, I followed him down the hall to our room.  I watched as he shut the door behind us, then turned back to face me slowly.

"(Y/N), are you feeling okay?" Levi asked lowly, staring deep into my eyes.  I cocked my head, rather confused.

"Seriously? All of that just to ask if-"

"You look pale."

"I appreciate your concern, but really, I'm fine." I smiled, resting my hand on his chest. He lifted his hand and touched my cheek.

"Are you sure you're recovered enough?  Don't fuckin' lie to me..."

I pulled his face into my hands and smirked, before planting a kiss on his lips.

"Are you?"

Placing his hands on top of mine, he guided them off his face and simply held them between us.

"Goddamnit, you're so damn stubborn."