forty eight

•••

•••

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in." The hologram of Tony sat on a chair. Ellie could feel the tears falling freely down her face and choked back a sob as she felt Steve wrap his arm around her shoulder. "So I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting... In the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that, death at any time isn't untimely." Ellie smiled again his small attempt to bring humour into this depressing message.

"This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's– it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. We don't know if everyone's gonna make it back. Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end." Tony suddenly stood up and walked towards his camera. "What am I even trippin' for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to. But just in case... Steve, I know we've had our differences but I am thankful for everything you've done for me. Thor, buddy, you're still the same man you've always been under all of that unbrushed hair. Nat, you are a good person whether you believe it or not, your past doesn't define you, so don't let it." Ellie cast her mind back to her best friend, throughout her whole life Natasha had blamed herself for everything she'd done while she was under the control of the Red Room.

"Liana, I'm so proud of the woman you've become and I'm sorry that I shot you that one time, tell your babies that I love them and look after my girls for me. Pep, I love you more than anything, don't mourn me, just for like a couple of months and then you can move on." Ellie wiped away her tears with the back of her hand as Tony leant down so that he was looking directly at his daughter who hid timidly behind her mothers arm. "I love you 3,000."

And with that he was gone, the hologram fading away completely.

- - -

Just as they were about to go into the garden where everyone was waiting, Pepper pulled Ellie aside and placed a wreath in her arms. It was surrounded by delicate red flowers and in the middle sat her signature hand gun and a silver plaque with 'Natalia Romanova' and her birthday engraved into it in cursive black letters.

"She deserves a proper goodbye."

Ellie carefully placed the wreath on the table and hugged her tightly whispering a thank you to her friend as they both cried. They pulled away and Pepper wiped the tears from Ellie's face. "Come on." The Stark woman encouraged her, picking up her own wreath off of the table and Ellie following in suit. Pepper took Morgan's hand and carried the wreath out of the house to an audience waiting outside for the intimate funeral. Ellie hung back and waited with Steve and then they gradually followed Pepper out of the house. Pepper and Morgan walked down the steps of the back porch with Ellie and Steve following behind them, the rest of the avengers from inside trailing after them.