twenty eight

•••

•••

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey announced, Ellie sighed slightly from where she was sat next Tony, a small baby monitor sat on the table in front of her.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did... exactly what he said he was going to do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures." Natasha informed everyone, Ellie placing her hand on top of Tony's comfortingly as Peter's picture flashed on the screen, followed by Bucky's.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony asked, agitatedly.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve sighed.

Tony glanced over at a sullen-looking Thor, who was sat on a bench, seemingly deep in thought.

"What's wrong with him?"

"Yeah, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but there's a lot of that's goin' around, ain't there?" Rocket retorted rudely, earning a glare from Thor.

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." Tony joked sarcastically, making Ellie roll her eyes.

"Maybe I am." The raccoon shrugged coolly, leaning back against the wall.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep Space scans, satellites, and we got nothing." Steve explained, "Tony, you fought him." This statement changed Tony's demeanour entirely, angering him.

"Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the stone. That's what happened. There was no fight."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?"

"Pfft! I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus." Steve tilted his head to the side impatiently.

"Oh god." Ellie mumbled, Steve had crossed the very thin and fragile line.

"And I needed you. As in, past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" Tony stood up, pushing things off the table with a clatter. Everyone winced at the noise, and jumped slightly as Harry's loud crying rang loudly through the baby monitor.

"I'll get him." Thor grumbled having taken a liking to the small boy, standing up and then leaving the room.

"I need to shave." Tony exclaimed irrelevantly before continuing with his rant. "And I believe I remember telling you, Cap."

Tony went for Steve, Ellie quickly stepping in front of him, trying to stop him.

"Tony, Tony, Tony, stop!" She warned him desperately, placing her hand on his chest.