31│Whistle While You Work

Jivika~

"Inter-class sports competition starts from today! Leg cricket and Kho-Kho for girls. Cricket and Football of boys! But if anyone of you break your bones, it's not my problem! This is being conducted on your insistence, otherwise with your boards round the corner, I would've never taken this risk!"

The coach announced. The screech of his whistle shattering my ears, was necessary on his part to emphasize his point.

"Sir, which class forced you?"

"D section."

Of course. The class with the most unpopular opinions. That whole class, the green section, was bonkers. The only partially sane one being Pratik. To be frank, I'm not sure about that as well. The soon to be school topper of our batch, Purnima Anantakrishnan, was from that class. I won't be surprised if she ranks first in the whole country. And then came the majority of their class, who by themselves could form teams for all the sports in the school.

"Come on, its gonna be fun!"

This new character? Me not telling you about her was intentional. Srishti Pandey was many things. Popular, annoying, the one with the sugary voice. She was not mean, no. But somehow, she manages to irritate people. She was from section A, the red house. We were from B, the blue ones. And blue being the calm and quiet ones, we bear her with a smile and an eye-roll.

Six hours of school and two hours of tuition classes. So, one-third of the day I had to tolerate her.

She was that girl who was frowned upon by the teachers on her birthday regarding her choice of dressing. She was that girl who's relationship status was always public. She was that girl who had lots of admirers and haters as well. She was that girl who had mass followers on Instagram. She was that girl who was called attractive and a slut at the same time.

She was also the girl who asked a Sociology professor during career counselling session, 'What was the scope of a good career in Socializing?' where the poor old fellow had to correct her that it was Sociology, not Socializing.

The coin flipped and it was declared.

A against B.

C against D.

Or in other words, red against blue. Yellow against green.

Srishti easily fit into the role of being her class's leader. "We will defeat B!" her shrill voice echoed in the school ground, making us and her classmates cringe. Okay. We were pathetic. There, I admitted it. But not that pathetic that we would lose against them, of all the people.

"Who is she dating now?" Laysa asked Amaya, her best friend.

"No one. She and Karle ended it, after he failed eleventh."

"Who is Karle?" asked Rhea, combing her fingers through her hair.

"Arrey Karle, Yash Karle! The football captain of school under whom we lost all U-17 matches, you don't remember?"

"I still don't know how you are a SGFI swimmer dude. You don't even know this school's players!" snorted Kiara, keeping an eye out for Pratik. She was constantly glaring at her boyfriend who was laughing with Purnima.

"Dude, there are so many Karle's! And we always talk about Noopur, who dances like a buzzing bee around Pratik, right Kiara?"

Before the person in question could reply, Lavanya cut through her sentence, "Wait, Noopur Karle, the girl who dated Krish for a day?".