23│You'll Be In My Heart

Jivika~

Our half yearly exams were over, at last. Amidst all  the drama, we managed to write our exams. Two sections of our school, the students and the teachers, held different views regarding our 'cupboard conundrum'. The former were in awe of our class, while the latter chose to insult us every passing moment.

Today morning, for instance. Sonika ma'am, the lady took a leave the whole exam week and today was her first class after that mess we created. And clearly, she did not mean to let the issue down. It was quite strategic of her, to not trouble us with it during the exam period, but chew over it the very next day.

She was disappointed by the class. She expected better from us, I suppose.

Did I mention that she was the most caring and professional teacher you could find in this school? Today, she lost her cool.

Calling up the three boys, Arnav, Sourav and Pranav, she screamed at the first two. That moment, we were terrified. We thought that it could not get worse. But we were proved wrong when her star student, Pranav's chance came. The terrifying conversations of today morning, replayed in my mind.

"Why did you sit inside the cupboard Pranav?"

"Ma'am sorry."

"I need an answer! Why? Even if you had not completed the work, how long could you do that? What if one of you got suffocated and died? Especially considering the fact that Arnav is an Asthma patient!"

"Ma'am so—"

"I don't want your sorry!"

She had taken a deep breath. Her knuckles white, clutching the board marker as if her life depended on it.

"Leave all that. How did you manage to pull the entire class  along with you, that none  of them told me about it! Did you threaten them?"

"No ma'—"

She slapped him. That shut all our mouths.

"Kya kiya aisa, ki ek insaan tak kuch naa bol paya? Ladkon ko dhamki di ki pakad kar maarenge? Aur ladkiyon ko chedenge? Yahi sab karna hai tumko? Yahi kiya hoga thumne!"
["What did you do as such, that not a single person snitched on you? Threatened the guys of beating them up? Threatened girls by harassing them? This is what you must have done!"]

Shuddering, I paid attention to Rane sir, who was discussing the question paper. The only person in the whole school who has no idea about what happened. We were his 'baby-class'! So innocent were we! Alas!

After the terrific performance, Sonika ma'am had called their parents to school. Pranav and Arnav's mothers had come today morning. Arnav's mother, as soon as she saw the cupboard, she ended up laughing. That grin on her face and twinkle in her eyes could not be missed.

"What happened when Mijbil was taken to—"

Rane sir looked at the man standing by the door.

"Yes sir, please come!"

Sourav ran towards the door before our English teacher could start talking. Oh. His father. He was too late by the time he reached. For Rane sir had already started the conversation.

"What happened sir?"

"Sir, I was called by his class teacher."

"What happened Sourav? What did you do?"