Chapter 22

I smile as I grab a glass of wine and go out to my little backyard patio to enjoy the warm April air. Even though it's still slightly chilly, it's nothing compared to the Chicago winter we've just had. I'm about to pick up Sage and put her in my lap when my phone begins to ring. I pick it up to see that it's my boyfriend, Parker, calling. I wonder why he's calling an hour before we were planning to Skype but pick up anyway. I press the phone to my ear and say, "Hey love, what's up?"

"Yea Addison, uhh...hi."

I set my wine glass down and say, "Parker what's wrong? You don't sound okay."

He sighs and says, "Well, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think we should go our separate ways. We deserve to see people we can hold and be intimate with. I just don't think long distance is doing us any favors, it's only got our hands tied."

After what Parker has just told me sinks in fully I say, "You're doing this now? Over the phone after we've been doing long distance for years?"

Tears begin to spill out of my eyes as he says, "Yea. Plane tickets aren't cheap when you're trying to pay for school as well. Even if I could afford one without saving for months, med school is demanding and I wouldn't have time to see you in Chicago. And there's this girl here that I've had feelings for for a few months now. I can't expect her to wait for me forever so I just needed to let you go. I'm sorry Addison."

I blink away a few more angry tears and reply, "Well screw you too. I hope this girl is everything you've dreamed of. Don't come crawling back to me when she's done with your sorry ass. My door is closed. Ho finito!"

The Italian angrily escapes my lips as I end the phone call and quickly dial one of the only other phone numbers I have memorized. After only a couple seconds I hear Casey say, "Addison, what's up?"

I sniffle and say, "Ho...Telefono...Lui..." I'm now crying so hard and have so much emotion I can't seem to string a sentence together or find the words I'm trying to say in English. Only broken sentences spoken in Italian are coming out of my mouth.

I hear Casey shift the phone and then he says, "Addison, what's going on? I don't understand Italian, take a deep breath and try to talk to me."

I take a deep breath and try again, "Called...finito...altri...girl..." Although this time I was able to say two English words, I still couldn't form a complete sentence and some of it was still Italian.

I hear shuffling on Casey's end and then he says, "Okay, something is wrong. I'm coming to your house. Stay where you are, I'll be there as soon as I can."

The line then goes dead. I set my phone down and stare into my yard as tears continue to stream down my cheeks. After thoughts I can't quite catch swim around inside my head for several minutes, I hear Casey shut off his truck and enter the yard. He scoops me up in his strong arms and places me gently on his lap. I curl into his strong chest and he softly strokes my hair. After ten minutes I finally feel ready to talk so I say, "Parker broke up with me. Over the phone."

I then proceed to tell Casey all the details of our phone call. When I've finished he places a soft kiss on the top of my head and then says, "Addi, I'm sorry. I know how it feels and it really sucks. I just want you to know that I'm here for you. Whatever you need, I'll be there okay?"

I agree and then he says, "Now c'mon, let's get you some ice cream and Disney movies."

I smile softly as Casey picks me up and gently carries me inside.