Chapter 5

I sigh in relief as I lock up the office after a long Friday at work. Not only did lots of clients come through, but I also got hit on and flirted with more than I usually do. Lots of clients who get a divorce want to start looking for the new 'next best thing' and I'm unfortunately the first girl they stumble upon. Although I would never tell Jimmy, getting hit on constantly is the whole reason why I want to change jobs. It was my motivator for asking about the switch to the CFD headquarters. Everyone coming through there will undoubtedly be so much more respectful.

I shake my head to clear that train of thought as I grab my purse and coat and go down to my car. I'm soon pulling into the small parking space behind the house where I rent the basement.

I quickly go up to my back door and unlock it. As I set my bag down and remove my shoes my golden toy poodle comes bounding up to me. I smile, pick her up, and say, "Hello Sage!"

Her little tail wags furiously as I give her a couple of scratches and set her down. I then enter my bedroom and see my black cat's glowing yellow eyes staring at me. I chuckle as I rub the top of Phoenix's head. She purrs lightly as I head to my closet. I quickly take of my pencil skirt and blouse and throw them into the laundry basket. I then grab jeans, a light blue t-shirt, and a black cardigan. I put all of them on quickly and then grab a hair elastic from my bedside table. I throw my dark brown hair into a messy bun and go to my bathroom. I take my contacts out and rub my eyes before putting on my black, large framed glasses over top of my dark brown eyes. I smile at my reflection and then go out to my kitchen.

I put out some food for Sage and Phoenix and then I grab a frying pan and peppers, zucchini, squash, and tomatoes from the fridge. I slice the vegetables and place them in the pan carefully. I then put the pan on the stove and turn it on to medium heat.

As I'm adding spices to the sautéed vegetables for the ratatouille my doorbell rings. I smile as I dry my hands off and go to the door. I open it and see Casey standing there with his toolbox in hand. I smile at him and invite him inside. After he gives both Phoenix and Sage a couple of scratches each I lead him into my guest bedroom. Once he has set down his toolbox I say, "That's the window. I'm not sure quite what's wrong with it, but thanks for coming anyway. I hope it's an easy fix."

He smiles and says, "It's no problem at all. I'll take a look at it and do my best."

I smile and then say, "Would you like a drink? I have beer or I can make you a Shirley's Temple."

"A Shirley's Temple sounds great." Casey replies with a smile.

I nod and go back out to the kitchen. I finish adding my spices to the vegetables, mix the vegetables a bit, and then grab vodka, sprite, cherry flavored syrup, and cherries. I mix together two drinks and then take Casey's to him. He thanks me and then says, "Your window track broke as it was beginning to erode and weather a bit too severely. Thankfully I figured that this might be the case so I brought a new track. It's a fairly simple fix so I should be done in half an hour."

I thank him and then go back to the kitchen. I take a sip of my drink and then I assemble the ratatouille in a casserole dish. I throw the casserole into the oven and then I start the noodles and sauce that we'll be having with the ratatouille. I then grab my drink and go join Casey.

----------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thank you all for 270 reads!

Just a heads up, I get my wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday so I won't be updating for a bit. It promise it won't be too long, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be anytime in the next week.

I hope that you all have a great week and thanks for being such an amazing group of readers! -Becca