Chapter 66

Chapter Sixty Six

It's been over a week and I haven't seen Trace since he ran away from me at lunch. I've gone by his apartment everyday, but he's never there. I even started thinking he joined a gang or something so I'd stop by at different times that wouldn't make sense. But he's never there.

I've gone in the morning, at night, even during school hours. Three days ago I used my lunch to stop by his apartment, but it was just as empty as before.

At this point I should just assume he's found someplace else to live and isn't coming back. But the lady at the front desk says he's still paying her.

She's a nice woman. We became friends. Our friendship started when she began getting worried that Trace had a stalker, she was curious to know if she should involve the police or not. I assured her I'm not crazy and we bonded over blueberry Poptarts.

I don't even bother going by his place today. I've got a better plan.

Lucas is his best friend so he's got to know what happened to Trace, right? If I go out and grab us some food, take it over to him... then maybe he'll tell me where Trace is.

So that's my plan for the day. Take Lucas some food and figure out the location of the boy I want back in my life.

Without him, life sucks.

I know you hear a lot about not letting a boy decide your happiness, but you can't always help it. If you care for someone, I mean really care for them, then they'll become so much more than just a person in your life. They'll become your everything.

And that's what Trace is to me: everything. Without him I feel like I have nothing.

I haven't hardly slept since I hurt him. The only guy I've ever wanted to commit everything to, I hurt. All because I started bleeding on the people who didn't cut me.

I know it has to be confusing for him. He hasn't experienced what I have, but he tries his best to understand. He's spent all of his time proving to me how much he cares. Then I was faced with the choice to believe him, or Cameron. And I chose wrong.

He doesn't know my reasoning behind that. He doesn't understand why I didn't trust him. To an extent, I don't either. But then I remember what Cole put me through and how I trusted him and he betrayed it. I trusted my sister and she stabbed me in the back.

But Trace didn't do any of that, the people from my past did. So I can't let them hurt us. Trace is better than Cole ever was. Much better. And I know that now, I just wish I would've realized that before I messed everything up.

"What's got you so down and gloomy? Lover boy break your heart?"

I turn to the familiar voice. The mocking voice I know all too well: Cole.

He walks to stand in front of me, blocking my path from the counter.

I'm not even mad at him, just tired.

"Get out of my way, Cole." I sigh.

He crosses his arms, making it evident that he won't move just yet.

I look up at him and he must be able to see how badly I don't want to do this right now. If he could just move and let me order the dang food then that'd be great.

"Oh, shit." he mumbles, taking in my current state, "You did break up."

"Why are you talking to me?"

He ignores my question, still analyzing. "But you want him back." Not a question, an observation. And it's a pretty accurate one too.

He looks the same as he did when we were dating. His facial features have matured, but he's still got the same hazel eyes and light brown hair.