Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

I'm pretty sure I caught a cold at the wedding Saturday so I used Sunday as a resting day. Mom and I watched Disney movies the entire day and she made me food, simple foods like soup and sandwiches.

"You sound sick," Mason tells me at the lunch table, such a gentleman.

My throat feels scratchy and my nose is stuffy. It's a terrible feeling when you talk and feel it in your nose.

My illness is the simple cold. Nothing too bad but something that still sucks.

"How'd you get sick? Did you sleep with your fan on and kick off your blanket in the night? I always sleep with my fan on and kick my blanket off in the night." Erica says and I laugh at her wild question.

I'm not going to tell them that I got sick at the wedding because, knowing Trace, he'd feel guilty about it.

Beatrice appears suddenly and begins trying to finish our conversation, "She got sick because her mother realized what a boyfriend stealing bitch she is and made her sleep in the yard."

Seriously? We're back to that.

I didn't steal Trace from her. He's not hers to steal and I don't even have him so nothing is, or can be, stolen. He's a person, not an object.

She squeezes herself in between Trace and Adalyn, causing the two of them to groan and scoot over.

"Why are you here Beatrice?" I ask as she admires her perfectly manicured fingernails.

"I'm not imposing am I?"

I narrow my eyes at her, "Only in the literal sense."

She huffs out a breath and rolls her eyes, "I'm here to sit with my friends. Except you, I don't particularly like you."

I laugh before saying sarcastically, "Bummer."

Fighting with Beatrice all lunch is going to do nothing but put me in a bad mood so for the remainder of lunch I've decided to put on my best fake face and just eat my lunch.

Only problem with that: I don't have any lunch.

When Josephine, Adalyn and I first walked into the cafeteria we were too busy talking about Mrs. Francis' homework that I forgot to see what's for lunch, which never happens by the way.

I look behind me in the direction of the lunch line to see if they're still serving but to play on my disappointment, they're not.

"What's wrong?" Mason asks, seeing my frown.

"She probably realized her outfit is ugly; I know I did." Beatrice smirks.

I ignore her and continue my conversation with Mason.

"I forgot to get my lunch."

He tears half of his peanut butter and jelly sandwich off and offers it to me but I shake my head, "I'm allergic."

His eyes widen and he quickly pulls it out of my face, "I'm so sorry Emma. I didn't know."

His concerned expression is adorable as he rushes to shove the rest of the sandwich down his gullet. Being around peanut butter won't do anything to me but if I tell him that now, it means he just devoured an entire sandwich in less than twenty seconds for no reason.

"It's okay! I'll be fine," I laugh at his concern and Beatrice rolls her eyes, but like before, I ignore it.

A few seconds of silence goes by but with this group of people it never lasts long. It's only a matter of time before someone starts a random topic up and I'd bet it's either going to be Ethan or Adalyn.