Where-the-wolf am I? Part one

"Monster!"

"Demon!"

"Kill it!"

"Don't let it get away!"

"Over there!"

Patton's legs felt like they were going to fall off if he ran any longer. The sound of his heart thudded loudly through his ears, beating faster with each panicked step. Hair on the back of his neck standing on end, the wind howling louder, the voices not far behind him and getting closer. How long he had been running, he didn't know. He didn't care to. Patton pushed past trees, clawing at the bark with nails starting to point at the tips.

"It's evil!"

"Protect the children!"

"Don't let it live another day!"

He didn't have to glance back to know that the torches and pitch forks were on his heel, ready to take away his life. One wrong step, one wrong move and he would be gone to them. The moon gleamed brighter than their fire, leading him in the direction the large woods which had been cornered off for safety reasons.

Patton's sky blue shirt began to split at the seams, his khaki trousers fraying, as a mass of mousy brown fur took over his body. Whimpers crawling up from his throat, as his limbs stretched and contorted, popping out from their natural positions in his body. His shoes didn't fit any more. The leather snapping as his toes poked through the ends of them.

Why does this have to happen now?!

He gasped as the pain in his joints felt like they were burning. Popping and crunching noises filled his growing ears.

"Pl-please! I w-won't hurt any of you!" Patton screeched, his voice filled with mercy. His cries going unnoticed. They didn't care for his pleas. They didn't wish for the monster to live among them. To scare and fill them with fear.

No one wanted him in their Village.

The beast screamed and thrashed at the sudden sharp stab to his back, glancing around to see an arrow sticking out of his flesh. His glasses slipping from his nose, the lenses cracking under his paw like feet as he continued running blindly into the night.

Never to be seen again...

until now...

0000000000

Virgil had always been curious about the abandoned woods on the outskirts of his small Village. He wondered why no one ever talked about them, and if they did, it would be nothing but morbid fairy tales. He wasn't a child and he didn't believe in those kinds of stories anymore, they were for little kids. Something to tell them so they wouldn't go wandering into the woods alone at night. Something that Virgil never listened to.

There was nothing but the moon to guide the way into the woods, and Virgil had soon regretted not bringing a torch with him. His brown eyes scanned the place as he trudged further into the forest. Why did trees always look more scary at night time? The shadows casting on them almost made them look like they had faces, and their branches were nothing but misshapen arms. It freaked him out.

Virgil squinted as his eyes became adjusted to the night, the moons light dimming as the tops of the trees obscured it from his sight. Virgil jolted when his hoodie got caught on a few twigs, that stuck out too far from the tree they belonged to, foot slipping and his body tumbling down a narrow and secluded slope.

"Shit!" He cursed, annoyed. The palms of his hands throbbing from where he tried to catch himself. Virgil's head snapped up when he heard the sound of leaves and twigs breaking under pressure. "W-who's there?!" Heart thumping against his chest, almost breaking free from his rib cage, Virgil shrank down still on the ground. I'm going to die! I'm going to die! I'm going to die! Those stupid fairy tales were true and I'm going to die! Why the hell did I come here alone! At night! Well... maybe I deserve it - my time has come -

"H-hello?"