Just one more time

"What's going on, kiddo? Sorry I can't come to phone right now... But if you leave me a little message, I'm sure to get back to you right away!"

His voice hadn't change a bit. No matter how many times Virgil had listened to the voicemail, it always said the same thing, sounded the same, and ended the same. And after the beep, Virgil would press cancel and call it again, and again, and again...

Just to hear his voice.

To listen to his words...

Just

One

More

Time.

Tears fell onto Virgil's pillow like tiny drops of rain, pouring from the side of his cheeks and seeping against the purple fabric of his pillowcase. Cellphone held tightly to his chest, loud speaker full blast, as he listened to the message once more.

​​​​​"What's going on, kiddo? Sorry I can't come to phone right now... But if you leave me a little message, I'm sure to get back to you right away!"

Listening to a voice recording was as close as he was ever going to get to the real Patton. Nothing else seemed to change that fact. Nothing.

Logan would tell him it was completely illogical and futile. He was never going to come back. And no matter how many times Virgil listened to that voicemail, Patton would never walk through those doors again. He would never hold him in his arms again. Feel his warmth. Hear his 'I love you's' ever again.

It was pointless.

Virgil knew that...

But

Just

One

More

Time.

"What's going on, kiddo? Sorry I can't come to phone right now... But if you leave me a little message, I'm sure to get back to you right away!"

Roman was the one who would tell Virgil to do whatever made him happy. Do what you think is right. The Creative trait seemed to be the most supportive of Virgil's routine of calling Patton's phone, he knew it would calm him just to hear the Moral traits voice...

Just

One

More

Time...

"I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is no longer in service..."

Virgil clutched the phone closer to his chest, knuckles white from the grip as so many suppressed tears spewed from his glistening eyes, throat burning, choking on his own sobs as the line went dead.

Patton was never coming back.

Virgil knew that.

He knew now, that he would never hear his voice again.

That his

One

More

Time

Was gone...

Just

Like

Patton.