Chapter 1

"I love you baby." a male voice ringed in her ear.

"Awwww, so sweet."

"Now you say it."

"Say what?"

"What I just said."

"Kya? 'Now you say it'"

"Before that"

There was a little pause, then..."I love you too."

Her eyes fluttered opened, tears rolling down her eyes. She wiped them and took the headphones off. An old lady tapped her on the shoulder and asked: sab theek ho beta? 

The girl turned to the old lady who was next to her. The girl's face still not revealed but her soft voice said: haan auntyji, sab theek hai.

Pilot: hello passengers. We are about to reach San Francisco in 10 minutes.

Girl's mind: 10 minutes and I will be back in that city...that city that only reminds me of pain. That city that only reminds me of memories that I don't want to be reminded of. That city that only reminds me of everything I lost.

Crying...A slap...Screaming...Yelling...all these sounds played in her head as she looked outside of the window, trying to ignore  the sounds of the past in her head. Before she knew it, the plane had landed. Once everyone was out of the plane, she quickly went to the girls' toilets to wash her face as she knew her face was tear-stained. 

Girl: now...now it's time to face them. 

She went out, got her suitcases and once all the boring airport stuff was done, she saw two adults waving at her and two teenagers also waving at her. The adult in the sari was carrying a handmade sign saying 'Welcome Back Gauri'.

Her face was finally revealed...her hazel eyes were a melt of autumn tones, fending off the winter frost, her complexion was slightly lighter than ivory with a rose coloured tint to her cheeks. Her lips were a baby pink. The top lip was thinner, but not too thin, and it had a natural cupid's bow; the bottom one was larger and more plush. Her hair did seem black, but then the sun from the massive windows of the airport shone on her hair, revealing its true colour...darkish brown. Her hair was as waves of pure earth, softly reflecting the light of the sun. Her eyebrows were perfectly arched and well-done. She was wearing a simple cream salwar with a black duapatta.

 She was wearing a simple cream salwar with a black duapatta

She  was Gauri, and that was her family waving to her. Her parents, Manish and Swarna, and her two sisters, Anya and Sapphire. Her pink lips formed a smile as she went to them. Her parents hugged her but Gauri didn't feel any happiness from the hug. She felt more hatred and more pain than she did on the plane. 

Swarna: finally you are here. It's been so long.

Gauri: it's great to be back...I guess.

Manish: and you are wearing salwars! India has taught you well.