Chapter 30

𝔸𝕧𝕒

"Hey Ava!" Gabby says in a high, excited voice, leaning in to give me an equally enthusiastic hug. "So nice to meet you!"

"Hi," I say.

Everyone steps around the booth to make space for her as I sit down on Zane's lap. Zane's eyes go wide and his body jolts as he abruptly pulls away and lifts me off of his lap to place me in the seat next to him.

What. The. Hell.

First, he avoids calling me his girlfriend, then all of a sudden I can't sit on his lap? Is it really that much of a burden to be seen with me?

"Just not right now, love," he whispers into my ear.

Oh wow. Yeah, by right now he means while the sexy blonde is here.

"Are you two together?" Gabby asks, gesturing between Kieran and me.

Kieran nearly chokes on his drink with laughter, undoubtedly expecting a reaction from Zane.

"No," Zane says sharply. "She's... she's with me."

He gives me a quick glance and I can see a green glint before his eyes rapidly dodge away.

"Oh my gosh, Zane! You have a girlfriend? I didn't know that!" she squeaks.

Of course you didn't. He clearly wasn't too enthusiastic about telling you.

"She's gorgeous!" she says. "Oh my god, girl, look at you! You're stunning!"

I want to hate her but she just keeps complimenting me. Damn it.

"Has someone finally won over The Iron Siren?" she says with a giggle.

What does that mean?

"Oh you have no idea," Kami chimes in.

"I'm gonna go grab a pint," Zane says, quickly jumping out of his seat and walking toward the bar.

Is there something going on between Zane and this girl or am I just letting my imagination get the better of me?

"He's caving," Kieran says, taking a sip of his drink. "Ten bucks says he comes back here with a bottle of Jäger."

"Absinthe or Sambuca work too," Kami chimes in.

"What are we talking about?" I ask.

Kieran chuckles and opens his mouth to speak, but Gabby interjects.

"So what's your deal, girl? Are you a Siren?" Gabby asks me.

"Oh my god, Gabby, rude!" Kami says.

"Oh come on, we're all friends here. What's the point of all the pomp and circumstance? It's like, obviously this girl isn't human and I know you and Zane are Sirens, so what's the big deal? I'll go first—I'm a nymph."

"Why do you say it's obvious that I'm not human?" I ask.

"Well Zane's big 'no humans' policy, you know. He's always been intent on not getting involved with humans, right?"

Ouch.

"Hey," Kami says as Zane returns to his seat. "Where's your pint?"

"Oh uh," he mumbles. "Line was too long. Gave up."

"What?" Kami asks. "Z, you didn't seriously wait in line, did you? What is wrong with you? Did you forget you had powers?"

"Let it go, Kam," he mumbles. He seems to think I didn't hear him, but I did.