Chapter 22

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter covers themes of homophobia and includes slurs, violence, and sexual aggression related to sexuality. You can skip to Zane's POV or the next chapter to avoid.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

"Ooh, ooh, let's go in!" Jen says, tugging on my sleeve as we walk past the massive book store.

"Yeah, Jen, I'm sure you just desperately need more comics," I say with a smile.

"You know, Ava, you're so right. I'm downright deprived," she says, pulling me into the store.

"Okay, just let me tell Zane I'm gonna be a little longer."

I pull out my phone to text Zane.

Me: Gonna stop at the book store with Jen. You might make it to my place before I do.

We weave our way through the various sections until we find the comics.

"Yeeeessssss!" Jen says dramatically, hugging the shelf. "My bayyy-beeees!"

"You have an addiction, girl."

"Yes I do." She nods defiantly, continuing to hug the comic shelf.

"I'm gonna tell Shayna you're cheating on her."

"Oh, she knows," Jen says with a giggle. "We have an understanding."

"So how are things going with Shayna, anyway? Are you two officially a thing?"

Her eyes shift as she thumbs through a Spider-Man comic.

"Uh, not exactly," she says with an uneasy look. "We've been spending a lot of time together, but there's a complication."

"Complication?"

"You remember Deb?"

"Your ex, Deb?" I ask.

"Yeah well, she just moved in with me."

"What the heck?" I gasp.

"We're still good friends. It's complicated. She and I have a long history."

"Is Shayna okay with this?"

"She uh..." she mumbles.

"You moved in with your ex and you haven't told the girl you're dating??"

She is gonna be in sooooo much trouble.

My phone vibrates in my pocket. Saved by the text this time, Jen.

Zane: I can come pick you up. The one in the mall?

Me: Yep. Not sure when we'll be done, maybe 20 minutes?

"Another text from Dickhead McGee?" Jen asks.

"If you mean Mike, then no," I say with a laugh. "It's Zane. I'm just letting him know I'm gonna be a bit later."

"Oh, that's good. Are you still getting texts from Mike?"

"Yeah," I sigh. "They swing wildly back and forth between 'I love you, let's work this out' and 'you're a total bitch and I hate you.'"

"That, my dear, is why he's Dickhead McGee," Jen says with a laugh. "You know how to avoid this entirely?"

"Don't date men?" I ask.

"Precisely, my dear! Men are seriously the worst. You never see women pulling this crap."

"Says the woman with ex-girlfriend drama going down."