Chapter Nine - Til Death

"Mia...." Kai steps closer to me and I back away, knocking into the bar stool behind me.
"Mia I want to apologise to you. I'm sorry. For everything. There's so much I need to explain to you. Please...."
"No! You don't get to explain anything to me Kai! When I saw you for the first time in ages 18 years ago, you made me think everything was fine. Everything was normal! That we would meet up for coffee the next day like old times. Then what? You decided to just go home and murder your family? How does someone go from behaving completely normal to that?! You're a psychopath Kai! A fucking psychopath!" I scream at him. All the anger that had been building up inside finally released. He just stands staring at me. Unsure of what to even say. I turn on my heels and walk out of the bar not once looking behind me.

I walk and walk until my feet feel too tired to anymore, so I find a bench to sit on and rest. That's when the tears come.
I scream out at the sky in anger. Tears streaming down my face, my throat feeling raw from all the shouting.
Suddenly I hear a whoosh as someone speeds past me, but I can't see who it is.
"Damon? Is that you? I already told Kai I don't want to speak to him." I sob, my voice catching in my throat.
All of a sudden I feel a heavy thump on the back of my head and my eyes start to blur. I try to open them but they feel too heavy. Then everything goes black.

——————————————————————

I wake up a little while later. I'm confused. What happened? Where am I?? It's pitch black and I can't really see anything. I'm tied to a chair in the middle of a dark room. I can't move no matter how much I try.
"Hello?" I call out. Trying to listen to see if I can hear anything at all. It's silent.
I close my eyes for a few seconds, trying to figure out what was going on. A few seconds later I hear footsteps coming towards me. I open my eyes, wide with fear as I see a dark figure approaching me. The person crouches in front of me and starts to speak.
"Hello Mia...."
I swallow hard, my voice catching in my throat. "H... hello?" I squeak.
The mans face is close to mine. I can smell his rancid breath on me as he gets closer. He reaches a hand up and gently strokes my jaw line, then down my neck to my collar bone. I close my eyes, dreading what may be coming.
"I'm afraid you've got yourself on quite the predicament Miss Michaels." He smirks at me.
"Whatever it is you think I've done..." I start but he cuts me off.
"Oh, it's nothing you've done. You're just collateral damage my dear." He grins sickeningly. I try to pull back from him but can't move.
"Drink this..." he says, holding a small glass of liquid in front of me.
"Is it... poison?" I stutter. He laughs and shakes his head.
"No no... nothing like that. If anything, it will save your life." He chuckles, grabbing my jaw and squeezing, forcing me to open my mouth wide. He drips the liquid onto my tongue and closes my mouth making me swallow. It's warm, thick and has a metallic taste.
"Now. Let's get down to business!" He grabs hold of my, pulling me up from the chair and dragging me outside.

The cold air bites at my skin. It's almost a relief to feel it on my body again. The man throws me onto the ground inside a circle of stones. He mumbles some words I don't understand and the perimeter of the circle bursts into flames. A few moments later I can hear a commotion around me and a familiar voice shouting.
"Get your hands off me! Do you know who I am?!" It's Kai. Please let him see me...
I listen to the conversation.
"Of course I know who you are. That's exactly the problem. You're the leader of the Gemini Coven. OUR coven. You should still be locked away, not out and causing more chaos!" The man yells loudly.
"You can't kill me!" Kai laughs almost manically. "You kill me, you die too!"
The other man laughs in response. "Of course. That would be stupid. This is merely a message, to let you know you need to leave the rest of us well alone."
"What are you going to do to me then?" Kai asks sharply. "Oh what? Another prison world?" He laughs, rolling his eyes.
"Oh no Malachai. We have something FAR more compelling than that." He mutters some words and the flames drop down. I'm sat on the grass, hands and feet still bound. Unable to run anywhere. Kai's eyes are fixed on me and filled with fear.

"Kai!" I call out to him shakily.
"Mia..." he says quietly. "What the hell do you want with her? She has nothing to do with any of this!" He shouts at the man.
The man smirks at Kai. "No, but she's the only person you've ever cared for." He replies.
"I'm a sociopath. I'm not burdened by things like guilt, or love." He doesn't look at me. He just stares angrily at the man in front of him.
"Okay, so if for example I were to do this...." he walks towards me. Kai tries to move but appears to be frozen to the spot, unable to do anything but stand and watch.
The man stands in front of me, looking down at me, slowly pulling a knife from his pocket.
"No! No!" I hear Kai shout, but still he's unable to do a thing.
"Now Mia, my darling...." he crouches down to my eye level, handing me the knife and looking straight at me. "Do you remember what that man said to you earlier?"
Suddenly something clicked in my brain. Like a memory had come back to me that I hadn't recalled before. I remember a stranger standing before me a short time earlier, speaking to me. Telling me....
I lift the knife and hold it to my throat. Tears pooling in my eyes as I desperately look over at Kai who is screaming and shouting. A look of complete terror on his face. Then I pull the knife along my neck, the sharp, cold blade slicing through my skin and my arteries. The pain last a few seconds, then I collapse to the ground and it's all over.

———————————————————

"Mia! Mia! Oh my god! No no no!" Kai collapses to the ground, tears falling down his face. She was dead. She was actually dead. All those years stuck in that prison world, wishing he could see her again, and now, because of him, she was gone.
In a flash, the man who was stood before her was gone and so was the barrier that had been put up to keep Kai in place.
Kai ran over to the girl, scooping her up into his arms.
"I'm so sorry Mia. I'm so sorry." He sobbed, tears falling from his face onto her cold body. She was so beautiful. So perfect. This couldn't be happening. Not to her. She didn't deserve this.
He stood up, lifting her up in his arms and carrying her, walking towards the Salvatore mansion just across the woods from where they were. His arms ached and his legs felt like jelly but he didn't stop until he got there.
He kicked a foot hard against the door to try and alert someone he was there.
"Damon!" He shouted loudly. "Stefan!"
He banged again.
"Okay okay! Coming! Geez!" He heard Damon's annoyed voice before the door flew open. Damon stood there, eyes wide with shock.
"What the HELL did you do Kai?"