Chapter Eight - Dead Inside

"So, you're telling me Kai Parker is here in Mystic Falls?" Damon growls. Stefan has explained to Liv who I am and what has happened. She's currently sat opposite me, looking me up and down as if she's trying to figure me out. I give her a soft smile, but she just frowns back at me.
"He came into the Scull bar and started trying to make small talk with me. When I ID'd him, he attacked me. Thankfully Tyler turned up before I managed to kill me but I think he easily could have done."
I sit shaking my head. This isn't the Kai I knew. Why would he do something like this to his own sister?
"So, what makes you think she'll be able to help?" Liv scoffs, looking over towards me.
"Well, we're kind of hoping she might appeal to his human side..." Damon began. Liv laughed loudly cutting him off.
"He doesn't HAVE  a human side Damon! God this is pointless! I'm leaving. I'll find some way of getting rid of him myself." She storms out of the house, slamming the door loudly.
"Wow. SO dramatic..." I giggle, earning angry glances from everyone else in the room. Not appropriate. Ooops.

"So, the plan is, we try and find Kai and get Mia to speak to him?" Stefan asks Damon, not sounding convinced.
"Well brother, if you have a better idea, do let me know." he huffed. He grabbed a glass of bourbon and drank it in one big gulp.
Just as he did, his phone starts to ring.
"It's Ric." Damon said before answering. The conversation was short, but it was clear something had happened. I heard the name Jo mentioned a couple of times. Jo. Josette?
Damon hangs up the phone and starts explaining what has happened. Kai had attacked a girl and pretended to be injured himself to get taken to the hospital Jo worked at. When he got there, he grabbed Jo and kidnapped her. 
"What does Kai need Jo for?" I ask, confused.
"Kai wants to merge with Jo and become the all powerful leader of the Gemini Coven."
"But Jo doesn't have her magic..." Stefan says.
"Nope. Because she hid her magic back in 1994, in a knife, which I happen to have hidden right here.." Damon says, walking towards a a painting and opening the back up. His face suddenly drops when he reveals the knife is no longer there.
"Brilliant..." Stefan mutters and Damon throws the painting across the room in a rage. "Kai has Jo and the knife. He has everything he needs to do the merge!"
"We need to stop him then. I can help." I say confidently, standing up and looking at Damon and Stefan who don't look anywhere near as confident as I do. "We were pretty close when we were younger. If anyone can get through to him, it's me." I responded. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little while later we were walking into the same graveyard I had been in earlier. Liv's twin brother Luke had come to Damon and told him where Kai was keeping Jo.
As we're approaching, Kai must hear us as he emerges from where he had Jo. I hide out of sight, waiting to see what happens. Kai looks pissed and uses his magic to throw Damon the other side of the anti-magic border which I had no idea even existed! Damon stumbles back over and glares at Kai who's stood there laughing at him, until suddenly Alaric jumps out and puts a gun to Kai's temple. I could just let this end right here, but something in my gut is telling me I need to help Kai. I need to stop them from hurting him.
I come out slowly from behind the tree and shout over to Alaric "Don't! Please don't!" Ric looks at me as if I'm crazy. I wonder myself if I am.
"What??" He says angrilly, cocking the gun that's pressed against Kais head. Kai is staring at me now, wide eyed and in complete confusion.
"Mia?"
Suddenly Jo emerges and starts talking to Ric, explaining to him that if Kai dies, Luke and Liv will have to merge. She thinks she will be strong enough to win the merge with Kai.
With that, Alaric lifts the gun and pistol whips him, knocking him unconcious. I run over to Kai and check him. He's out cold. He looks exactly the same as the last evening I saw him. I softly stroke his face and stand up, looking at Ric and Damon.
"Now what?"
"Well..." says Damon. "Now, you tie him up on the other side of this border until we figure out what the hell to do with him!"
"Me? I can't do that on my own...." I groan.
"You wanted to save him, you tie him up princess." Damon says, throwing some chains in my direction. They land at my feet with a clatter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Done!" I huff, standing up from the huge gravestone I've chained Kai to.
Kai starts to stir, his eyes fluttering open. He looks up at me, the same confusion as earlier on his face.
"Mia?" he says quietly, squinting his eyes with a frown.
"Yeah, it's me Kai." I say, crouching in front of him. He still has those perfect features. Those blue-grey eyes, that chiselled jaw, that mop of dark brown hair I just want to ruffle. I give him a gentle smile.
"How are you here? How are you.."
"Your Dad put a spell on me when he sent you away. I think he must have linked us, because as soon as you came back, I woke up."
"Why would he do that?" He frowned, taking in every inch of my face with sadness in his eyes.
"Because I went to the house that following day to try and find you. To try and find out what had happened. Kai. Please tell me you didn't do this?" I pleaded.
He didn't say anything. He looked away and his eyes bore into the ground he was sitting on.
I stood up, shocked that he wasn't denying it. I never believed he could do something like that. Never. But it was clear he had.
I stepped backwards.
"Mia..." He looked back up at me. "I'm sorry." he said softly.
I just shook my head and continued to back away. Once I was far enough, I turned and I ran. I ran until I couldn't run anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later, I'm sat in the Mystic Grill, drinking. Trying to wrap my head around everything that had been happening. I haven't spoken to either of the Salvatore brothers since I ran away from the graveyard. I've stayed in Mystic Falls though. I wasn't even sure why to be honest. I have nothing left here now. I've found out my Mum had passed away a few years ago after spending years trying to find me. In fact, there had been a massive search for me when I disappeared, but because I had been in Portland at the time, it was assumed I would be there. Lots of rumours were spread. One being that I had ran away with Kai. That I had actually helped him murder half of his family. The other, that he had murdered me. People actually believed he could have done that. To be honest, after the past few days, I wasn't entirely sure he wasn't capable of it anymore.

I took a big sip of my drink, the alcohol burning on its way down. I close my eyes, trying to switch off all the thoughts running through my mind. How had I got him so wrong? I remember the Kai from when we were in our teens. The Kai I shared memories with, who had told me he wanted to be more than friends with me. That Kai had feelings, emotions. The Kai I saw a few days ago, was dead inside. But then again, after 18 years in complete isolation, anyone probably would be.

"Well, I didn't expect to see you here...." a familiar voice came from behind me. As I turn I see the raven haired man with piercing blue eyes stood next to me, a smirk on his face.
"Damon." I say bluntly, picking my drink up and swallowing a mouthful,  looking away from him.
"I thought you'd be long gone by now." he said, sitting himself on the stool beside me. I stared ahead across the bar. He was the last person I wanted to speak to right now.
"I'm glad I bumped into you actually...." He was still talking. "There's someone who wants to speak to you."
I slowly turn to face him, a frown on my face. "What do you want Damon? If you want me to try and get through to Kai again, I can't. He's gone. He's not the same person he was when I knew him." I huff, signaling the bartender for another drink.
"Well, you may want to hear me out, because there's been a few changes since you ran off on us." he grins.
I look at him, confusion spread across my face. I'm not in the mood for his shit today.
"Look, Damon. I don't know what it is you want, but I'm not interested in helping you again. The last time I did, it broke my heart. I can't put myself through that again." I hold back tears, biting down on my lip as I glare down at my glass.
"He wants to speak to you..." He starts to say, but I cut him off.
"I'm not interested Damon." I throw back the rest of my drink and go to stand from my stool. As i do I spot Damon glancing behind me. Against my better judgement, I turn to see who's there, and sure enough, it's Kai Parker himself.